Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

RS 232 Cable

TOOLDEV

Slightly unrelated to Mastercam, but ....

Can anybody reccomend a good, very shielded

cable to communicate with the Machine.

The RS232 (serial) cable runs past a machining center, when I switch this Machine off I am fine. Re routing would ad a lot of length, so I was hoping for a better cable.

Any suggestions would be welcome.

All you can do is get good shielded cable, then shunt the shield to ground (that is, take the bare wire that contacts the foil shield, and connect this to pin 1).

You can reduce errors by slowing down the baud rate.

Other than that, you'll have to reroute the cable; which you should probably do anyway. Just try to keep it less than 100'.

I use ethernet cards and RG58 coax, supposed to be good up to 320 feet. It is so quick that I strongly recommend it if your controllers support it. You can pick up old isa slot cards with the bnc connector for coax for $12.00 and coax is very cheap.

Jims 2 cents