Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

tool feed parameters

Bruce

Hi all

This is a great forum, especially for someone like me who only uses MasterCam mill ver8.11 from time to time. I am in the process of setting up a tool library for the ones I use.The speeds & feeds quoted in the parameters section of the "define tool area" (default tool library) seem very odd to me. I am using the metric default library as a base to start from. Are the feeds quoted here meant to be in mm/rev or mm/min? The feed rates in my metric default library look more like inches/min.

Thanks in advance

Bruce

Airgun Bruce.

Thank you for a query I can help with, instead of needing endless help. I too have been stuck in this dark tunnel but think I have just seen the light.

Speeds and feeds come from the material library. Main Menu/Toolpaths/Job Setup. At the bottom LH corner the selected material is shown. Click Select and the material list window will open up. Towards the bottom of this window is a scroll bar. Select Mill Library, if not already. Now there is a long scrollable list of materials available for selection. Scroll through them and take particular note of the fact that each material is available in three varieties: (inch), (meter) and (m.m.). Double click on a material. The material definition window will open. I don't think you can save any changes you make to this window. At the bottom RH the Output Feed Rates matches the Material Name (inch/meter/m.m.)at the top. Note that the units don't contain /rev or /min. The default is /min but I haven't been able to find a switch to change it. I would like to know if there is one and where it is. Bottom line is, first thing to do for a toolpath is fill out the setup sheet and select a material with units that match the feed units you want to end up with. The other tricky thing I have discovered is in Operations Manager/Parameters/right click tool icon/Parameters. Towards the bottom of this Define Tools window you can set:

% of matl cutting speed,

% of matl feed per tooth.

If not 100 (%) you can get some mysterious speeds and feeds.

So mate, where in Orstrylya ya from?

Hugh Venables.