Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

3D Machining _Tips & Tricks

LIGHTNING_

Any new tips/tricks/basics? I'm VERY green on this 3d stuff and am having problems with my customer's cad files (IGES from Pro-E). I can manipulate the file to the right orientation, but can't find any endpoints or entities ...it's all surfaces. Can I make toolpaths from just these surfaces??

Do you always have to "contain" your toolpath?

How do I make arcs & lines fom my file that is all surfaces?

Will try above suggestions also.

Thanks!

Steve

• Like 1

To start, 3-d toolpathing needs to be divided into 2 sub classes, Parts and molds.

While most of the same toolpaths are used in either class, your approach is diffrent for machining on the outside vs inside of a part.

Then you would need to divide those 2 classes into groups according to 3 material classess.

Plastics and graphite, aluminum, and steel.

By dividing the pie up in such a way, a broad strategy can be used that will work on 90% of each class, right down to the speeds and feeds and depths of cuts.

IMO...

personally I think the most important thing about 3D machining is the semi finishing part. roughins is pretty standard no matter if we are talking a boss or a cavity. To start I manipulate my 3D model to create run off surfaces from my edges so I don;t end up with scallops all the way around when the block isn;t perfectly on size. then a standard rough pocket operation leaving .03 stock. Now in the clearing of the radius this is where your model will dictate your approach. after I have .01 stock on my model I always clear my rads down one cutter size smaller then what my finisher is going to usually using surface finish leftover 3d collapse for semifinishing.this keeps the cutter from biting in the corners when finishing and eliminates a lot of marks that will need benching and a lot of wear on my finishing cutter. then from there I like the parallel finishing using a angle that will best suit my form using multiple angles as needed to be. all that is lef is clearing ofthe rads and all the areas my finisher was to big to get to. which again is 3d finish leftover but this time perpendicular to the cut.

So steve there is the basics I use

When cutting softer materials, rough/pocket can be eliminated alot of the time, increasing productivity. One can utilize the time-saving paralell stratagies that would be ineffecient on steel because of the physics of the cut would cause damage to the cutter.

I use the high feed option every job to make my HAAS acel/decl in the corners. Mostly on finishing passes using extra length tools with small dia's. This is also effective for finishing toolpaths that change direction, cutting in an upward and downward direction.

Use corner rounding to increase cycletimes. You can use much higher feedrates on your slices, if you dont frap your tool in the corner.

Awesome stuff, guys, thanks. Have been playing with some electrodes this week and seem to be getting the hang of it. Still not sure which method(s) are best for each application, but I'm betting that comes with time. Also discovered "Tapered Walls" in the 2D toolpaths which will come in VERY handy. I know, it was probably there in earlier versions, but never did 3D or mold work at my previous job.

Steve