Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

file converter for .GE3 files

Tim Carter

• 9 months later...

I came acrossed this today, we have 1000s of files that date back from about 5 years ago and longer that are .ge3 format. We are a thermoforming company and many times mold parts are modified to be used with other molds... Which is what I'm doing today.. The problem is what if I don't have V9 and why should we need it anyway who wants to open an older version to get geo into the current version of the same software. These parts may be modified today or ten years from now and well it seems like MCAMs attitude is those parts will just have to be redrawn when the time comes and version XIX is out.

I think this is a big oversight on MCAMs part and they should offer something to either convert a .ge3 to the current version or at least a supported file type. We paid for those file already we should not have to do it again.

Guest CNC Apps Guy 1

If enough people request a feature it gets added. I'd have to guess though, they recieve very few (if any) requests to convert old GE3 files. Shoot, there's only been one request in this forum that I can remember.

Let's see... .ge3 ..... What year was that???

I agree with Stork though.... Back 1 version, 2 if you're lucky.... 3 better odds at Lotto ..... beyond that.... cuckoo.gif

But there are many places that still have and use GE3 files, WIN95/98, ..... including ours. A lot of the old stuff didn't make the "transition". So, once in awhile, I still come across a GE3 file for a part that came back or through a REV change. The worst ones are the ones that were programmed on a antique platform that we don't have anymore....

Speaking of which, I think I still have an Atari.... biggrin.gif

cheers.gif

quote:

I have had a fw customers over the last year ask about this and have given them this Script to use.

I think I have Ge3 files on Zip disk in my tool box. remeber Zip disks?

Man that takes me back to late 80's, early 90's.

about the same time as first divorce and having to sell my 1 1/2 yr old 420 ranger. Man that time in my life sucked... i loved that boat

• 3 years later...