Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Plane info

Does anyone know where we can Analyze plane data, like rotations from World axis?

If I create a plane and want to find out the A, B, C angles, how could I find this out?

A C-hook maybe!

Luc

quote:

If I create a plane and want to find out the A, B, C angles, how could I find this out?

What is the configuration of the axes? is A on B or B on A? is C on B which is 45 deg from vertical? I think you are asking a rhetorical question here...I think you already know that you can't get A,B,C angles from a toolpane matrix unless you know the kinematics of the machine tool.

What I'd like to see is some way to define that in Job Setup or someplace so that the angles can be calculated.

This is not machine dependant!

When creating an arbitrary plane, I should be able to obtain the relative angles when analyzing the plane from the TOP Cplane or any other Cplane for that matter.

If I've made a 45 deg plane between the TOP and SIDE planes.

When analyzing it fron the TOP plane, I should get A0 B45 C0.

From the Side plane it would be A-45 B0 C0.

This is what I'm looking for!

Luc, it is machine dependent. Trust me, I spend a lot of time working on post processors for 5 axis machines.

The letter designations of the 4th and 5th axis are not always in accordance with thew ISO standard. I have seen several examples, where the C axis (according to ISO standard) was designated as an A axis on the control.

And on some machines, the 4th and 5th axis are not set at 90 degrees to each other, and it is the angle of the axis which has to be programmed, not the angle of the tool. If such matters are not taken into account, then this can have disastrous results when you try to produce a part on the machine, and it certainly will not produce a correct part.

If what you want are the angles according to an ISO standard right angle cartesian system, then they can be calculated from the tool plane/construction plane matrix, or from the tool vector data in simultaneous 5 axis motion. You should be able to find the needed formulas in a book on advanced mathematics.

[ 10-31-2001: Message edited by: Christian Raebild ]

Thanks to all for the responses ...

Dave actually pointed me in the direction I was looking for.

By creating a surface on the plane, when using Analyse, Dynamic and choosing the plane surface, you obtain the normal vector of the surface as analysed from the current Cplane.

Thanks Dave!

Luc