Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Unmachineable region in 2D-Pocket??

kwolf

I have a problem in 2D-Pocket.I did a 2d-pocket to a dxf imported file (a tiny true type font text converted to dxf), after verification I discovered that a region in pocket left unmachined .I tried different strategies(zigzag-const overlap spiral ..) with no success.I increased number of finish pass.Finally I decided not to use finish pass and it did a correct 2d-pocket.Actually I tested it with latest patch 10-16 with the same result.

what causes such a problem.

Would I upload the file to ftp ?

Any help or suggestion?

Thanks

KWOLF

P.S :I made a solid from the text and did a 3d-pocket to it without any problem (with the same parameters :tool -stepover-and finish pass spacing ...)

Another question redface.gif : : When I press Alt-V it shows 5.1.2001 but I just downloaded latest updates . How come?

[ 11-01-2001: Message edited by: kwolf ]

Hi Fred,

Actually the units are in mm.The bigger arc has 150 mm radius and the other has 60mm.And the only region left unmachined is within the upper part of letter "S" and not between "S" and "E".

If you use verify option in backplot command , you will see a tiny piece of pocket in letter "S" won't be cut.

Moreover I make solid from these letters and from the frame , and MC cut it correctly.

I upload the jpeg file of backplot to the ftp site (in mc8 folder) and show the unmachined region.

Thanks for your reply.

KWOLF

Hi Jay,

How could you get that picture?

Did you change any parameters in 2D-Pocket?

I played with all parameters in 2D-Pocket,none of them resulted in a correct toolpath except unchecking finish pass.

Will you tell me what options you checked and what options you unchecked?

Or better may I download new MC8 from the ftp?

Thanks

KWOLF

Ok at least I found one option that differs:Roll Cutter ...

But for 4 finish pass the tool does not have a roughing pass and only 2 finish pass in the region. confused.gif

I think it must plunge to that area do a rough and 4 finish passes.

Thanks Jay,

I never imagined that such a change in smoothing toolpath has a great effect on it.

And yes redface.gif if you don't mind , will you use 2 or higher number of finish passes and let me know why there is no roughing or plunging in that area.

Thanks again

KWOLF

Hi Jay,

I hope you find out why the toolpath looks like this (with 2 or more finish passes).Actually in another software when the stepover of roughing pass exceeds 50 percent of diameter it states that the tool may not clean out pocket.So I decreased the stepover and use 2 finish passes , and again the same problem. confused.gif

And worse than that is the tool moves in the previous cleaned area very much.

I will be very thankful if any comments or ideas

Kwolf

KWOLF- Better watch out or Jay is going to send a virtual invoice direcly tied to the number of posts that request his response. I know the shop I worked at had a sliding rate depending on the level of hassel the customers gave.

I might suggest additional training or even have a consultant spend a day with you to go over some of the implementation issues you face. The pay back will be short as witnessed in you latest crunch.

Andrew