Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Rotary annoyance

After much annoyance, I suppose I am doing something wrong with how I contour on the rotary axis.

I set up on the rotary just like I normally do. If I drill, I get good A axis numbers. But when I contour, although the verify looks good (and I am sure it works fine) the numbers are still screwy (as per a previous post). Now, it was suggested to me that I have drawn it wrong, or something with the axis substitution is not right.

So, if anyone can explain to me how I use rotary with contouring properly, that would be super. As I said, apparently I have no problems drill, just using any type on contour path on the rotary. bonk.gif

If you are interested, I have posted a sample of something on the ftp under the MCX folder called Collar.mcx (simple graduated collar for a machine with numbers and 2 holes, tapped).

Thanks for any and all help. cheers.gif

When rotating about the X axis and using axis substitution. You only have 3 axis available to machine in.

XZA

Your Y axis is being substitued with the A axis, thus Axis substitution.

Your straight lines and drills are all good because they stay at 0 on the y axis, that toolpath gets in trouble when you go back to do the numbers and it tries to mill and move the Y off the 0 of the axys, a Y movement will cause a A movement when axis substitution is used.

Right, that is what you described in your email priorly. But, how do I fix that then? Persay, the mcx file I put on is nothing but simple. It moves one way, along the Y (which I suppose doesn't exist per your explanation). But, all I am doing is engraving a straight line (literally along the y), so how can I rotary contour that without using Y axis sub?

Same goes for boring and such, if I want to helix bore a hole around a rotary axis, but not have A0 (or whatever deg it's at) and move the xyz?

I'm struggling with A axis contours and A axis substution. Just like you say it verifys fine. My post is in need of some adjusting. My X post is off of my V9 post and both give me different outputs. I don't have enough time to mess with the post and punch code. So I'm editing .NC code a lot manually.

Millingman in the example I sent you, I chained the geometry in the top plane and then transformed it around the part to create the rotations. I then created a new T-plane at 60° and chained the 3 features there and transform rotated them to complete the pattern. In this was I get XYZ cutting action and only use the A to rotate into the cutting position.

Hi MillingMan,

We do a lot of "Axis substitution." in our shop.

I didn't see anything wrong with the Nc file.

The two holes start at B0. and B180. (we use B for rotary). The first line start at 356.399, .. and the last line end at B0. then rewind and mill the numbers. If you rechain toolpath GEO from bottom then up you will get B0. ... B356.399. It look fine to me.

Let me know if you need more info.

Pat

I need to work on my programming also... My main objective is to go from post to machine. It's alright my post is close. Actually the file I showed you is what I'm building... The second one is in the machine as we speak.

Like Milling man was talking about with contouring and positioning. I will keep working on it... It's tougher than it looks... dialing in all this software. Designing molds. programming. new machines to work with. biggrin.gif