Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Reverse post processing

mmonica

Guest CNC Apps Guy 1

Reverse Post Processing (IMHO) is a rough way to go about converting old programs specifically written to go into certain machines/controls into new programs for other machines/controls. More often that not it is much easier to re-program the part that way you can post it to whatever machine/control you want at any time. But you're saying "I've got thousands and thousands of programs written over the years......". When you look at it that way the task does look daunting and a "push buttton solution" looks tempting but things are never that easy. A Reverse Post needs to be written for each control that you have. You'll not have ANY of the associativity features of Mastercam so if the part changes, you'll have to go in and manually change the program, re-reverst post the program, etc.......

JM2C

James,

I respect your opinion and thank you for your reply. I have the need to evaluate toolpaths written before MasterCam had associativity. This could be because of a rev change, bad edit by an operator or has a tool to look for process improvements. I agree reverse posting does not work for converting programs between controllers. We are fortunate enough that the Mitusbishi Meldas, Fanuc series and Mazak controls are very simular with very few edits reqiured for conversion.

I keep ver 7 loaded for reverse posting only, I would like to take a look at 4D Engineering product. My dealer is working on this.

Thanks