Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Need advice on filleting a solid

RMagnusson

Hey there.

Im trying to cut some fillets on some ribs in a pan. There are four ribs coming together at a cylindrical boss. I would like to see the ribs filleted to the side of the pan as well as to the bottom and the boss. Here is a link to a small recreation of my part ftp://www.ppcadcam.com/Mastercam_forum/MCX_Files/

It is named 'Problems with fillets.' My biggest problem area is on the face with the .5 in fillet. Just look for the pink point in wireframe. I would also like the pan walls to be filleted to the pan bottom. Any help would be GREATLY appreciated. I got like 90% of my part done in just a few hours until I came to this junction..

cheers.gif

I should probably start over. Sorry, Im still really new at this, and I've found one of the most important parts is being able to see the process correctly.

I am drawing my part to look like the finish product. We will be machining them from castings which are pretty close to the finished part. Maybe 1/8-3/16 extra material. Am I correct to be drawing the finished part and running the toolpaths on that?I am using a .250 sperical endmill, and various flat endmills.

In my original post I should have asked, "How do I draw these fillets?" Merlin, that's exactly what I'm lookin' for. I recreated what you did on the example, thanks. It was my original part drawing that was flawed. Or the order was off I guess.

Thanks for the replies everyone

cheers.gif

Oops, shoulda refreshed before posting.

quote:

Am I correct to be drawing the finished part and running the toolpaths on that?

Yes...Sometimes if you know what size your radii are on your part, you can cheat and not actually have draw them. You can just let the cutter size do it and it will save time.

As you found out early on, filliting your model will ocasionally consume lots of time, and if it is not nessessary, you can skip them.

However if you want to do lots of the cool stuff with verify, you will need to draw your model just like it will end up.

Good luck...

I did it just like Jake had mentioned. I Pick the edges.

It helps if you pick the corners where the veritcal walls meet first. Then the floors.

If you have done the walls first then when you do the floors you only have to pick one edge and have the propagate along tangencys selected and the fillet will go all the way around the inside for you.

cheers.gif

You guys are awesome biggrin.gif

Is there a way to make a rib, spar whatever and have the fillet cut the material you just extruded instead of adding to it? I would like to extrude a spar lets say .5 wide and tall. Then put a .25 fillet on either side so the spar rises to a point. Or should I just be drawing a plane somehow and filleting that to the perpendicular surface...?

I generally try to draw everything with square corners and all fillets and chamfers and such at the end.

It makes it a lot easier if you have to change something later. You don't have to worry about changing your drawn fillets and such.

Makes things a lot easier, I think.

To cut exisiting features, you'll find extrude cut.

Hmmm, apparently Im not being exactly clear.

When you fillet two pieces together, lets say a long rectangle 1" (z)tall 1" (y)deep and 10" (x)long laying on a flat xy plane. If I were to add a .50" fillet to one long vertical edge of the rectangle it would ADD material between the upper outside edge of the rectangle and connect a .50 arc to the plane thereby enlarging the overall size of the rectangle. If you now measure the footprint of the rectangle its 1.50" at the base and still 1" at the top.

I would like to take that theoretical long rectangle and cut a .50 fillet into both sides of it. i.e if I were to fillet both sides thusly our long rectangle woudl now look like a long tee-pee with saggy walls (sorta..). It would measure 1" at the bottom still and the fillets would meet in the center of the y axis for a nice point that ran along the x axis.

Clear as mud right?

RMagnusson,

Following jmparis's advice above

quote:

Try this,

solids >> fillet >> solid fillet

will NOT add material to the solid "brick". There's more than one way to do what you want. Draw the shape from the Right Side plane and extrude it, or create a solid block and fillet the edges.

os5niq.jpg

HTH cheers.gif

I cant look right now as I dont have the hasp, but Ill check it out later.

I shoulda just drawn this from the beginning. Thats what I get for relying on my big dumb mouth.

I actually wanted the fillet going the opposite direction as in the above drawing. As if you were doing a face to face fillet. With the arc of the circle starting from the outside of the block and extending in toward the center then curving upward toward the top. Like if a chamfer were to have a concave arc across the length of it.

I'm sure everyone is highly frustrated with me by this point so I'll just leave it alone if I haven't been any clearer. I should have my hasp back by sometime tomorrow morning. I'll post a pic.

Thanks for putting up with me everyone! You've all been such a great help that I got my first part done today. It looks freakin' awesome too.

Cheers.

RMagnusson,

quote:

I actually wanted the fillet going the opposite direction as in the above drawing. As if you were doing a face to face fillet. With the arc of the circle starting from the outside of the block and extending in toward the center then curving upward toward the top. Like if a chamfer were to have a concave arc across the length of it.

OIC "D'Oh!" Like this?

ot2rlg.jpg

The green geometry is the flat, closed profile drawn from the Right Side plane. Is this what you wanted? idea.gif