Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

What material to use for moulds

I have a customer that gives me moulds to rout on the CNC router, they then take these moulds, add a surface coating and make carbon fibre parts from them.

I started using hardwoods, but I got a fair bit of chip out that meant a lot of hand dressing.

So I moved to MDF which seems good and everyone is happy, however, is there a better material which is homogenous and will rout fast without chipout and give a better surface than MDF.

Procedure to date has been to "rough pocket" then to "parrallel spiral", then to "left over" the moulds are small about 300 X 200 X 55 deep and take around 5 hours to machine using a 0.2 stepover in the second and last machining operation any advise here? rolleyes.gifcuckoo.gif

thanks

chris f

Well Chris I don't know about "carbon fiber" molding, I have only seen that used as an additive to some type of resin. If that is the case then what we call "renwood" is often used for thermoforming molds and would probably do the job. It is considerably softer than MDF but I guess it depends on your needs. It may work for you.

HTH

Chris,

You shoul be able to find something here

We use these modeling boards for many applications like vacuum forming tools, prototype injection mold cavities, and wet layup composite tools. They have a wide variety of materials and densities to choose from, so I'm sure you can find something that works for your application.

cheers.gif

Something I have done for paint grade work in MDF is to use a spray on automotive filler just before the last pass. The MDF soaks it up and your left with a very nice finish.

I would ask if it's compatable with their coating.

It's dry in under 15 min.

just a thought.

Chimo Les