Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

seimens controller

biss03

Anybody out there using a seimens controller? We have purchased a new horizontal that utilizes this controller and i'm looking for opinions - good and bad. Obviously, we are going to need a post for this controller. Is there a generic one on the disk for this or is it recommended that we purchase a custom post from either our dealer or in-house solutions?

thanks for the help!

Siemens it´s a great control IMO (In spite of a lot of guys here don´t like them biggrin.gif ), but we have to admit that the Sinumerik line it´s getting better year after year, with a lot of very useful features, including Dual Nurbs (A rare feature, if I´m not wrong, it´s the unique control that has it at this moment).

How many axes has your machine? Up to 4 axis you can contact your dealer and ask to him to contact In House Solutions for a Siemens free post. Perhaps you have to make some tweaking for a horizontal machine, but nothing complicated. Definitely, Sinumerik is a great control IMO. And if you have a 5 axis machine, contact In House as well. As far as I know, their Sinumerik 5 axis post are second to none.

HTH

[ 03-21-2006, 12:20 PM: Message edited by: Watcher ]

Sinumerik uses main program files(MPF) and sub program files(SPF). And the SPF's work with MPF's better than just a simple post right out of mastercam. I would really suggest to get a good custom post and spend time testing and retesting everything option. In the long run it'll pay off.

Guest CNC Apps Guy 1

Having a good post makes a horrible control biggrin.gif usable. I guess my biggest beef with them is that they are PC based. I am thoroughly Anti-PC control to the bone. When it's too hot they have problems, if you have a brown-out or a dip in power however short they have problems, they take like 5 minutes (if I'm exaggerating it's only by like a minute) before they are ready to machine in the morning if it was powered off. If you have Fanuc "style" Controls in the shop you'll hate it. You'll live with it because you have to but you'll hate it.

That's my take and I'm sticking to it. biggrin.gif

quote:

Hindsight isn't Wisdom and Second guessing isn't a strategy!

It is for Democrats. biggrin.giftongue.gif

SPF's work with MPF's better than just a simple post right out of mastercam.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

tHEY HAVE LIMITIED AMMOUNT OF spf FILES (less than 100 )available for one program and if you have your one spf `s or from other program instead of yours ?(you may have crash )

they have spf ,mpf and project ? files directory

Mpf must be saved in Mpf directory ,spf in subprogram directory ... it is a headache

I used straight programs with no subs ,

the length of program is not a deal ,you can work from harddisk

also it has some issues with g18 and g19 .

Other than that it is great control with a lotof options that you`ll like .

quote:

they tell me the reason for using the seimens controller is because the machine uses linear motors and the fanuc controller couldn't keep up with the speed of the machine.

Siemens was one of the first company in the world to make R&D in linear technology.

Yet their way to use drill cycles and other cycles is killing one and very dangerous too .

Try to asvoid edit tham by hand or check them twice

G83(*,*,*,,,*,*,*)

or

R1=* R2=* R3=* R4=0 ........

G83

very uninformative and dangerous (all the cycles may use common variables R and you must specify all of them or control will use R fronm former R call and

R5 may have different meaning in different Cycles )

Good post is the must

We have Hyundai lathes with Siemens controllers, and as a Fanuc guy I have to vote thumbs down. Program organization, especially canned cycles suck, as Iskander pointed out. The control is a pain for the operator, page after page to get to what you want to do. Threading cycles have no extra accuracy, B for radius(no big deal). You can do everything that you need to but you will definatly pull out some hair getting used to it.

Peter