Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Temporary Point

Mjölnir

MCX-MR1

When analyzing a distance in 2D construction Mastercam creates a temporary point as actual geometry at the current depth on the current construction plane.

I noticed this while analyzing the distance between the center of a hole and a point that was just a couple thousandths off from the center of the same hole.

Using autocursor to pick the center of the arc, then trying to pick the point near that center to measure the distance, Mastercam was picking the temporary point created at the center giving me a distance of 0,0 which was wrong.

I've never seen this type of behavior (temporary geometry created during analyze distance/position) in any CAD or CAD/CAM system I've used, or previous versions of Mastercam, and think it should be eliminated as it's going to eventually cause somebody some trouble.

Pete;

Perhaps you're not creating a point, but the autocursor behaves as if there is one. Simple check;

Switch to iso view, unzoom a bit, set construction to 2D, cplane to top, set depth well above all geometry, analyze distance, pick spot on geometry, Mastercam displays a (phantom?) point at set depth and autocursor displays point mode when placed over it.

In my opinion, that point, be it real or phantom, shouldn't be pickable.

Bob,

When you did the 'pick spot on geometry' step, is there something there that made the AutoCursor find a position there? What shape did you see next to the cursor when you made that selection? It sounds like we're simply snapping to that same location again when you make the 2nd pick, since they're so close. What shape do you see next to the cursor when making that selection?

quote:

When you did the 'pick spot on geometry' step, is there something there that made the AutoCursor find a position there? What shape did you see next to the cursor when you made that selection?

Yes, and, center, or endpoint, or midpoint, etc., doesn't matter.

quote:

It sounds like we're simply snapping to that same location again when you make the 2nd pick, since they're so close. What shape do you see next to the cursor when making that selection?

A point.

Check your email in a bit, I'm going to send you some screen shots. I don't have access to the ftp server, or I'd upload them there.