Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Large 10 FL EMs?

Bruce Kanzelmeyer

Anyone using these large (1-1/2" or 2") 10 flute endmills? I machine alot of 6061 T6 alum and thought they might be good for roughing. But I ended up slowing feedrates way down (under 60 ipm) and taking only 5% dia passes cause anything more seemed to REALLY load up the spindle. Anyone have thoughts on best way to rough out a large 10" x 10" x 32" long alum block? Thanks for any input.java script:void(0)

Head Scratch

My experience has been that, with aluminum, you go for fewer flutes, precisely for the reason you stated, especially 6061; I've found it to be somewhat gummy. 10 flutes sounds like something you might use for titanium or other hard metals.

With aluminum you are using higher spindle speeds and feedrates, so the cutter has less time to evacuate the chips. That's why you use fewer flutes; it gives the cutter more time and room to get rid of the chips. If you don't, the cutter loads up, just like you found.

For a cutter that big, maybe try a creskut or some other kind of roughing end mill.