Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Cimco NC-Base/DNC-Max/Editor

Watcher

Hi folks, this are some questions for the people using Cimco Edit/DNC-Max/NC-Base togheter, I want to fish some info and statistics about how the experienced users are running these solutions. I already have some info provided by our dealer, but I want to hear your opinions as well.

We bought a full package of Cimco here, and I´m the guy responsible to define the IT structure to run the applications. I received some advices from our dealer and from Cimco about the best practices and the recommended structure to install the softwares. To be honest, I believe that I already know the answer for some issues, but who knows I will get interesting testimonials here too.

Non-users of Cimco can also participate, especially for questions that concerns to IT and network issues. Please give me your advices.

Below follow some questions which I would like to hear your opinions:

1 - Are you using Cimco running over the company network or over a dedicated network only for the DNC?

2 - Are you using using DNC-Max with NFS - Ethernet data transfer?

3 - Are you using NC-Base with its standard database or SQL database?

4 - Where are stored your NC database? Either in a file server or in the physical Hard Drive of DNC Server PC?

Please, feel free to add some important info/advices about the best solution. Money is not a issue.

Thanks in advance for participating biggrin.gif

quest 4

we store our nc files-mastercam files and setup info files on the dnc server hard drive. this allows maintence to our main business system server without interuption to the shop floor.

server is raid-drives with daily backups as well.

this is the 3rd shop I have settup and have tried many different topology's. this seems to work the best.

Doug

We have DNCMax4 with 30 ports but do not have NC-Base; we have 3 hubs on the shop floor [2 16-port and 1 8-port] that service the machines

DNCMax service runs on our regular network

NC program files are stored on one of our file servers

The system works the nuts

Daniel,

We have 2 Fadals networked to a single PC running Cimco DNC Max in our Prototype Shop. It's not the greatest setup in the world, but it suits our needs. wink.gif My experience with Cimco DNC Max has been generally good with very few problems.

1 - Are you using Cimco running over the company network or over a dedicated network only for the DNC?

*Since there are only 2 CNC's they ar both running from a single PC in close proximity to both machines.

2 - Are you using using DNC-Max with NFS - Ethernet data transfer?

*No. Ours are directly connected vis RS232 cables.

3 - Are you using NC-Base with its standard database or SQL database?

*I believe it's standard database, not SQL.

4 - Where are stored your NC database? Either in a file server or in the physical Hard Drive of DNC Server PC?

*The files are currently stored on the DNC server PC hard drive, but anything critical can also be backed up to the company net server as needed.

Main advantage: If the company net is down for any reason, the CNC's can still run. biggrin.gif

Main disadvantage: Files not backed up to the company net server may possibly be lost due to hard disk failure of the local PC. mad.gif

(not too likely...but could happen. wink.gif )

HTH cheers.gif

We have DNC Max5 with 32 machines. We are not currently running NC-Base. All machines are wireless.

Moxa units at the machines and a Cisco access point in the sky. DNC Max service runs on a single PC but is backed up to the network nightly. We also have three clients floating around the shop.