Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Diff between MC Router and Router Plus

Chris Robinson

Exactly what is the difference between Router and Router Plus?

I would like to be able to machine guitar bodies like a Strat style that has arm relief and back relief. I'm told that I can't do it with my MC Router package. It appears to be a significant price to move from Router to Router Plus.

Thanks,

Chris

Chris-

In order to machine a shape like a guitar body, you'll need to be able to cut solids or surface faces. Router can't machine either.

Router plus can machine unlimited multiple surfaces using the parallel finish, and pocket rough toolpaths. The pocket rough can only use zigzag roughing, and the roughing cannot be disabled. All other surface toolpaths can only machine 1 surface at a time.

Your reseller can give you a good idea as to whether or not this will work with your application. I think it proably will

Doug

Doug,

Thanks for the reply. He said I'd need Router Plus but looking at the Mastercam literature, there appeared to be only 2 items that differentiated Router from Plus. I thought that $3500 was alot for only adding "Single and limited multi-surface roughing" & " Single and limited multi-surface finishing" according to the MC website.

Thanks,

Chris

About the only thing you can machine with plain router are ruled surfaces, 2d swept surfaces, and surfaces of revolution. You can get pretty creative with these but if you want to machine a complex surface you may need Pro.

Do you have an example of something you want to cut?

Mowens, I have a guitar body that cadcam sent me as an expample. I don't have the solids module with my Router license. I just recently downloaded Rhino3d and have been playing with it creating solids.

I'll upload the guitar drawing to cadcam's ftp side, to the drawings folder. It will be called "Guitarbody1.3dm". I was looking at the drawing in Rhino and saved it under that format. I have been looking at a cam plugin for Rhino to machine complex surfaces.

Thanks,

Chris