Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

RAM Allocations

dxclark

I've got mine set as follows

points per spline:5000

patches per surface:5000

entities for undelete:500

database allocation:30000

toolpath allocation:30000

I use Mcam v811 primarily for machining 3D surfaces(don't use many solid files except for my own)and sometomes generating my own part files from drawings.The two that really matter to me as you can see are the database allocation and the toolpath allocation.I've never ran into any problems with the database allocation I just assume it better to keep it pretty high, but I have in the past run into virtual memory problems while generating toolpaths of files with large amounts of complex surfaces.I think the default in version 8 was somethig like 8000 and I jumped it up to 12 or 15000 and still once in blue moon had problems .Now that it's at 30000 I don't seem to have anymore problems.Hope this helps. cool.gif

i have a pentium 4,1300mhz, 128mb

the following settings have been fine with my system:

number of points per spline:8000

max number of patches per surface:8000

max number of entities for undelete:500

database allocation in kb:35000

toolpath allocation in kb:45000

i recall while going to mastercam training the instructor said mastercam needs about 80% or more of total RAM allocation. it's a good starting point.

take care,

bob

I put this question to mastercam technical support awhile back .there answer was to allocate a total of half your available ram. if you are working with large files increase database allocation because when drawing size is geater than data base allocation a temp file is used to hold drawing between drawing saves. if this happens a drive icon appears at bottom rh corner of screen.hope i have helped.

Guest CNC Apps Guy 1

quote:

allocate a total of half your available ram

This is my general rule of thumb as well, 'cept for my home system that has 512MB RAM I have 408 MB Allocated and they are as follows;

I do everything from Contours and Pockets to assembly models and Large 3D programs.

JM2C