Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Filll Holes with surfaces

Has anyone used this feature in MR2?

I am trying to use it and nothing is happening with it at all.

I've pisck the face the hole is in, the face and the hole, nothing seems to work.

Anyone try it yet?

John,

I just tried it on something simple, and it worked great. I think the limitation on this is that it has to be a flat surface. I created two arcs in inside of the other. Created a flat surface between them and then used the fill hole feature by selecting the surface and then choosing the boundary when prompted to do so. Worked fine. Do you have a file that you would want me to try it on? Send me the file or drop it on the FTP. I think you all ready have my e-mail addy. HTH

John,

I'll have to try it again. What I am working on at the moment is anything but simple wink.gif

I've had some real goofy stuff going on this AM anyway. Tools that I use everyday, suddenly changing, by themselves, the type of tool they are, headscratch.gif shut down and reopen the file, the bad tools are still there, pull the SAME tool in again and now it's OK.

So it could be a ghost in the machine.

Thanks, John

You know, if you read up, I said that I had some goofy stuff going on today. Don't you know I just tried it again on the SAME DA*N solid and THIS it worked.

I dunno, but yes I see now that it does work on a solid.

I have no idea what was going on earlier.

Screwy tool library behavior, screwy MC behavior, I dunno.

headscratch.gif

I am using the surfaces to close off areas that I do not want to machine yet. I have to rough this out and then send it out for stress relieve, then finish.

Surfaces are nice for this as you put them on their own level and then when you don't need them just turn the level off.

It would be nice if MC had a feature like NX called simplfy. You pick the model, set the min/max diameter size, it will search the model and create surfaces and close all holes in between the sizes you set.

Slick feature

I wonder if it's something I'm doing wrong.

If I create a surface, I can close the holes 100% of the times I try. Yet using a solid face it's in the 50/50 range, sometimes I click the face I get arrow and create the surface but a lot of time I click the surface and get nothing.

quote:

You know, if you read up,

Well John I did and I found that it looked like Hevymtl was thinking it did not work so I was showing that it does.

You asked if any one had tried this to and I did.

John my freind its sunday get Slurpee and try it again wink.gif

the prompt asks to select a surface or a solid face.

I use it all the time on both and never have a problem. I hope this isn't insulting in anyway but on the solid does one face completely encompass the hole? If two faces encompass a single hole it won't work.

I just tried it on the same model on my work computer and it did work as it is supposed to.

I think I have something strange going on with my computer at home.