Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

CATIA - solids or surfaces

MONOLITICO

I have always translated Catia files onto Mastercam as STP files, however, today I translated the same file as an IGES file and there is a wall thickness problem on a wall. I would like to know if any of you have encounter this. What do you prefer to translate your CATIA files to solids or surfaces? I will appreciate your help greatly.

Solids works much better than surfaces as long as the solid from Catia is "good". It depends on if the solid you are trying to import is a closed body, or if it not closed. I have found some Catia solids where the geometry in Catia wasn't closed and "water tight". In these situations you can usually import a set of trimmed surfaces instead of a solid and machine the model that way. Sometimes you have to live with what you get, whether you like it or not. I have machined plenty of models where the surface geometry was pretty ugly and I had to go back in and rebuild surfaces, wireframe, ect.

-Colin

I have imported many IGES files. One thing I have noticed is that when exporting the IGES out, it is best to use the Surface and B-spline setting in CATIA V5. Mastercam likes those settings best. An IGES out of CATIA V4 is worth a handful of Advil in my experience.

I have tried to import a solid with the Catia translator and have got deviations in those, but from what I have dealt with STEP, I'd agree with Colin and say you get what CATIA gives you.

Personally, I prefer importing as surfaces then creating the solid in Mastercam, because I almost never get an accurate closed solid model without errors. If I import as surfaces, I can fix it.

MLS

MR2 XP