Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Right Angle Head Guru's Needed

tsewyek

We set out trying to drill and counter bore a hole on one of our vertical mills using a right angle head. The hole is a tap drill for a 1/2-13 tap with and 1 1/4 spotface, this hole is located on the inside of a ring with 17" I.D. and there are four holes of this type located at 90 degrees apart. We originally attemted this with a form tool similar to a porting tool with absolutely no success, the material is a 304 Stainless Forging and the tool "was" carbide. Now that the tool no longer exists, it is going to be necessary to interpolate the hole with a 1/2" end mill, the problem is, where to start? The spot face is 1 1/4" dia. in a 16.960 bore the tool in the right angle head is facing in the "X" minus direction. Any help would be greatly appreciated!! Thanks in Advance!!

Haven't done this in X yet but on V9 I do it like this....

Draw the part like it is in view relative to the top construction plane. Draw the spotface (in it's proper location) in the side place (or view 5) relative to the top plane (or the 16.96 diameter).

When toolpathing, have the WCS set for top plane EXCEPT for the tool/construction plane. This will use side plane (#5).

If your post supports G18/G19 and alternate T/C planes, the code will come out using Y/Z motions with X for depth.

Alot of times I'll use incremental programming for this stuff, but it largely depends on how you set your tool/angle head for offsets. With an incremental program, you can just draw the feature on its side (same in view when part is loaded) except the feature on CAD is at X0. If you draw it in position relative to the diameter, then you'll need to be sure that the tool is set appropriately.

This method works for me,... I'm sure others have other ways.....

cheers.gif

Thanks Psycho, I tried what you suggested and the backplot looks great, but I must need to modify my post to output the G19 as I get I's and J's instead of J's and K's. My post is based on the In House Mpmaster post modified to suit our machine. Thanks again for your help, it just looks like I need to do a little work on my post. Thanks Again!!

Thanks Dave, I'll get a hold of Jim down here to see if he can help me out with that application.

Hey Psycho, I made it work, but I ended up editing the code, which I would really rather not do fo course but we're running the parts now!! It' skind of like a shock absorber for a Submarine fired Tomahawk missle all new parts and all Stainless of course. Thanks Again for the help!!