Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Maching an .STL file in V9.

AntV8

some stl files i have generated in verification have been very large. of course it depends on the relative size of the geometry, tolerance being used to create it, and possibly some other factors. imo, they are very slow to work with when they get too big.

i have not found a need to use stl files to create toolpaths on, but i think if you do a search, there have been a few threads on the subject.

I stay away from those STL files... only time I use a STL is after creating a lengthy toolpath I will save it after playing it in verify, then load it when I go to verify my finishing toolpaths. That way I dont have to watch the roughing operation again.

Welcome to the forum! cheers.gif

The reason I am using stl files is the part gets made using freeform. This only generates as stl files. These tend to be very organic shapes. The CNC package, I use at home seems not to have any problems with importing these files. So I really need to figure a way of mastercam to machine these parts. Will version X be any better? Thanks Ant