Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Coppying toolpath group in MR2

?Mark

Hi all.

Have a part I need to machine from top and bottom.

Created all neccesary operations in toolpath group 1 for top and I'm done with it.

Now I need to machine bottom which is exactly the same, except 3 ops out of about 50 need to be slightly changed.

Now copying toolpath group 1 to a new machine group screws up all speeds and feeds, what's up with that? curse.gif

Also right clicking an operation and dragging it to a new machine group (copy after) crashes MCX if number of ops fills up the window (doesn't want to scroll under what's already visible).

???

John, where the hell are you? wink.gifbiggrin.gif

I thought I had it nailed: the whole copying stuff, but if the software arbitrairly changes speeds/feeds when copying toolpaths it's got to be one of the stupidiest things ever curse.gif

Unless I got a major brain fart and can't see the obvious... headscratch.gif

Mark,

The only thing I can suggest is shut down MCX, don't save your file, reopen it and try it again.

Now this was an issue in the original X but I believe it has been addressed.

I see some really off the wall behavior at times, that I cannot recreate but for some reason, a shut down and restart tends to clear what ever it is.

Mark,

The feed and speed is linked to the tool parameters stored for each tool in your library. If you change them AND save the changes to the tool library, your speeds and feeds will not change when you copy the operations. Otherwise, they default back to the settings which are saved in the library. That is why they are different when you copy ops.

HTH. biggrin.gif

quote:

shut down MCX

I don't have to, it crashes by itself.

For the first time I actually managed to crash MCX...

The idea of "copying" usually means keep everything as original, and that includes speeds and feeds, not here though...

cheers.gif

quote:

so when I "copy" something it should stay the same...

Yes, but unless you save the tweaks to the tool library you aren't really copying them. I know it's aggravating but it took me a long time to figure this out! biggrin.gif

For example, let's say T1 in your tool library is a 1/2" ball mill with a default speed and feed of 2500 RPM and 40 IPM. You use it in a new operation, but now you need to change the speed to 3500 RPM and 50 IPM on the parameters page. You have actually only changed the parameters 'temporarily' for that instance of using that tool. If you copy that toolpath, Mastercam reads that you want T1 and fetches that tool from the library with its default speed and feed settings which you may or may not want to tweak again. If you want the new speed and feed setting to 'stick' you need to save it to the tool library with the new settings so that if you use that tool again you don't need to make the same tweaks. I know it's confusing, but once you get used to doing it this way it's not so bad. biggrin.gif You can actually save several instances of the same tool in your library for different applications with different settings, then call them up as needed. It takes some doing to get your library set up the way you want it, but then it gets easier to grab what you need and not have to change parameters at all. wink.gif

quote:

it's not so bad.

But not too good either biggrin.gif

At the absolute least MC should ask me if I want to keep "copied" toolpaths parameters or not.

Jim you know it's imposible to have tool library to accomodate every circumstance. .500 end mill alone would take up couple pages, and who'd be able to keep track of it confused.gif

cheers.gif

I agree with you Mark. A copy is a copy. It should be EXACTLY like the original. An option to make an exact copy or revert to library settings would be a huge improvement. This copy problem causes me to do some work in v9 when I know I will be doing a lot of operation copying.

quote:

.500 end mill alone would take up couple pages, and who'd be able to keep track of it

I have (4) .500 end mills in my library with appropriate speeds and feeds.

4 flute flat for steel

4 flute ball for steel

2 flute flat for aluminum

2 flute ball for aluminum

All I do is name the tool what it is and add either A or S at the end of the tool name so I can pick it quickly from the list.

Your library doesn't need thousands of entries, just the ones you use most commonly. wink.gif

Yes, I agree the system COULD be better. But until it changes I've decided to make the best of it. biggrin.gif

To all the CNC Software guys and gals...hint...hint... biggrin.gif