Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

G10 fiber glass i think

wildpair

i have some material to machine this may turn out to be a long term project and right now things are not going good. the company will not tell me everything about this material i am almost sure that it is g10 but i think it also has carbon in the middle of the block. one problem that i am having is i dont have coolant i am going to try a spray mist today on it and see if it helps. i do know that this stuff really stinks. i have tried diamond and carbide with not much tool life. ran spm from 250-500. if anyone has had any luck with this material please let me know bonk.gif

thanks again for such a great forum

cheers.gif

If it's G10,your tool life shouldn't be that bad.

Yeah,that crap stinks and gives me an instant headache!!

I normally use cheap,uncoated carbide that is SHARP.

It likes to chip in edges because of how brittle it is.

Also use a bullnose endmill whenever possible,that will help with your tool life.

Hi wildpair,

I worked in a plastics shop years ago and we did a tremendous amount of mill and lathe work on G-10 as well as G-9 and all the other G's you can think of. We used diamond grind carbide end mills to do our work, we didn't use coolant but we had a vacuum system throughout the shop that dropped a hose at each machine. For drilling we used -you guessed it- circuit board drills. I don't recall the exact surface speed but it was pretty low because the stuff burned easily and would delaminate. There's nothing really fast about machining this stuff. If it's green and smells as bad as you say, it's probably G-12. If it's grayish in color with a sharp "burn your nose" odor, it's G-9.

Anyway, good luck and keep the dust off of your ways.

Baq from Iraq

JohnA