Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Odd shape to Mill on Rotary

I realize 'odd shape' is likely nothing compared to what most of you with the 5 axis machines are doing...but still, since I don't do a heck of a lot of A axis programming, it's odd to me.

Anyways, I have a coolant collector from a machine we have here that broke (cheap crap alum. casting....) and I drew it up and all that and I want to machine the outside contour on my rotary.

-For those who don't know what a coolant collector is...it's the alum. part likely on the end of a turning center spindle...likely has a limit switch or two or three on it and maybe a drain hose to go back to the coolant tank. Hence the 'Coolant Collector-

So, when I try to do a toolpath around it, it just turns into a huge jumble of nothing. The path is very obviously wrong.

Here is what it looks like.

CoolantCollector.jpg

So, by that I want to mill around the outside profile...any thoughts how I might start that?

Thanks!

David, you have mail.

Unfortunatly Jack, I cannot access the FTP from work. Our IT has prevented FTP it seems. So, maybe I can email it to you, and if you could be so kind as to post it on the FTP on my behalf, that would be great!

MCX Level 1 is what I have. Obviously basic stuff available, rotary and the lot. I do not have access to any 5 axis Toolpaths. Ruled, revolved & swept 2D only on Wireframe...

Have solids, obviously...

Don't know if that's enough info. Let me know.

I appreciate all the help, fellows!

Something like that I would consider just setting up tool Planes and use the "A" as an indexer only. Some of the cuts will be planer face cuts and contours and some will be surface machining using flowline. I don't have "x" but it's the same concept I think. HTH!