Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Linking toolpaths

monolithic.jpg

For this part, I am using thin wall machining techniques. I know that I can select all the pockets and use the depth cut settings so that it will maching every one to my maximum cutter depth, and then again and so on until they are the correct depth. I am stepping down .1 every time. Is there a way to link a pocket and contour so that after all the pockets have been machined to the first depth (.1), the cutter will contour the outside at the same depth. And then just repeat the process again and again until I am at depth? I think it would be like linking the toolpaths together, but not sure. Any body have any ideas??

I might add it is not really necessary to do that in my opinion. I usually melt it down by individual pocket unless the wall thickness is less than .050

Rough pocket leaving .100 then 2d contour straight to finish with .070 stepdown on .500 carbide 0 radius.

Saves time from hopping around.

Well...I have cut many parts like this...same material(7050-T7451). Thing is the flanges aren't that tall on your part. If you get adventurous give it a try.

I did a part that was 1.5 inches tall and .030 thick. When I cut the outside, everything else was finished and I cut full width .500 E/M .070 stepdown 30000 RPM at 400 IPM(or more). Visually it looked kinda funny because the chip evacuation caused little marks, but the finish felt fine and no warping.

You HAVE to use a short LOC solid carbide shank cutter, you HAVE to use a zero-.030 radius to finish down the wall(then clean up only radius with another cutter)...the .030 radius gives you less tool pressure. You HAVE to finish the wall with some material remaining on the floor so the rigidy is not affected.

There is a learning curve...heh...don't get me wrong. I claim no responsibility. cheers.gif

MLS,

these are just test pieces to determine which type of geometry is easier to cut. i have 5 different models. Once the final say is made, and the designs are accepted, we will make 6 parts that are 28"x16"x3". those will be tested for stregth, and after the final part is determined it will be machined out in a part that is 48"x20"x3"

Sounds pretty cool J.K.

If it wasn't proprietary, I'd send you a picture of some expiremental parts we did for an unnamed customer. I really didn't believe it was possible until it ran.

Ohh...Shawn...the tolerance for most of our parts is +/- .005 on thickness. Flatness varies, but the parts are usually so flimsy it would take less than 10 lbs to restrain them into tolerance. Generally well within the restraint conditions.