Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

post modifications for tool changes

Bob W.

I need to modify my post so that the M00 or M01 codes are posted after the tool change. Anyone know how to do this?

My mill (Haas VF2-SS) has a side mount tool changer and I was told that doing this would get the tool pocket in the right location before initiating a tool change. In the current configuration the spindle retracts and then waits for the pockets to cycle around to the correct tool.

Also, what is tool staging? Another comment was:

"Also, you may stage the tool like any old Fanuc by calling the tool without an M06 next to it. This will bring the pocket down to ready position regardless of the mentioned M codes (M00, M01) in case you don't want to edit your programs."

I'm relatively new to CNC machining so I don't really understand what he is talking about.

Thanks,

Bob

"Also, you may stage the tool like any old Fanuc by calling the tool without an M06 next to it. This will bring the pocket down to ready position regardless of the mentioned M codes (M00, M01) in case you don't want to edit your programs."

There is an option in the mastercam machine parameters. It then will(if the post is setup right) put the T# in the program like so

N1410M01

N1420G0G17G40G49G80G90

N1430T1M6(1/2" ROUGHER TOOL - 1 DIA. OFF. - 51 LEN. - 1 DIA. - .5)

N1440G05.1Q1

N1450G0G90G54X.32Y.3407S4500M3

N1460G43H1Z.25M8T2 (HERE IT IS)

This then has the tool ready when you get to the next tool change. Notice that my M01 is before the tool call. This works on our Fanuc controls as well as some new Centurion controls we have here.

HTH

Glenn

Which method would be easiest to implement? I would like to modify the post so that during tool changes the next tool pocket is ready in the correct location. I would like it to post like this automatically, every time. 99% of the editing I do is at the computer and not at the machine, in case this makes a difference.

Thanks,

Bob

I like the stage tool function. With the M01 at the end of the preceeding tool path, my machine will stop, and I can see the cutter that I just got through using. I can then hit cycle start and "Baby sit" the tool change and start of the new tool.

JM2C

Glenn

P.S. Yes, it is the staged tool routines.

nope, just tick off the switch.

Stage tooling will get your next pocket into tool change position and at the M6 will be ready to go.

I am unfamiliar with the mini-mill, will this keep tools in different pockets or must they remain T1 in pocket , tool 2 in pocket 2.......

I don't think this would work for the Mini Mill because with the umbrella style tool changer it is not swapping tools like the side mount changer does. This would only be for the new mill.

I checked the tool staging box and gave it a quick go and it worked perfectly.

Thanks,

Bob