Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

High speed endmill holders?

Trim Break

We recently brought a Mazak PFH4800 Horizontal on line. It has a 15,000 spindle. We also have a 12,000 510c vertical.

We already have 6 Kennametal endmill holders(set screw style) that came with a "milling kit". I have heard 8,000 max for these type toolholders and I have heard 12,000 max. I have used the 3/8" holder with a 1/4" endmill w/ 3/8" weldon shank with great results at about 9,000 to 11,000.

We have also had a demo with shrink fit tooling. Another option is a type of holder that uses a collet nut with ext threads and ER collets. This keeps the tool very close to the spindle. These are for highspeed in 6061, small pockets and countours.

Any suggestions?

Bonus coolant question: We need to produce 1/4-28 STI 3b tapped holes.

Synthetic or water soluble oil?

quote:

set screw style

Avoid if you can.

Everytime you need to modify a tool by grinding a flat on it is a waste.

All depends how fancy you want to get ($$$).

Check out commands xt style holders (on the same holder you can use xt collets for milling and er collets with different nut for drilling and so on...)

For fancy stuff you can't beat lyndex-nikken 3-locks

hth

cheers.gif

Mark.... I can't get over your new "identity"... wink.gif

I agree with others... avoid set screw holders... including the ones that are "pre-balanced". They work if you need them but you can get better results with other types of tooling.

We have a FH480 with a 25k spindle. Using shrinkers, Nikken mill chucks, BIG Kaiser collet holders and chucks, ... etc. Watch out for hyrdraulics. Many aren't designed for a bunch of side-loading. Some hydraulics can though like a Sandvik CoroGrip and I believe the Schunk models are capable of it as well. 3 locks won't benefit much unless you have a Big+ spindle. Effects to the spindle are usually "long term" unless you have a really whacked out tool. But you'll see immediate differences with surface finishes, accuracy and tool wear.

cheers.gif