Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

creating surfaces

david

I am new to this. I am trying to create a surface on a 2" square with a 1/4 chamfer on one corner, where do you go from create-surface ? Also I have a flat surface that has a 2x3 by 1 inch tall surface prependicular from it that needs to be trimmed out of it so that when I view this drawing in the shaded form I will be able to see the 2x3 hole in it. What commands needs to be used to get the right results? Also can a surface be created on a chain that consists of lines,arcs and angles that is irregular in shape and is approx. 2.5 by 5 inches? Any help will be appreciated. Thank you in advance. I have a Mastercam version 7 book published by Scholars International Publishing Corp. and we are using version 7.2 level 3 Mastercam.

------------------

david

I assume your geometry is all correct and you already have the wireframe you want,so you it sounds like all your surfaces are flat so you can use Create,Surface,Trim/extend,Flat bndry and chain all the rectangles,you`ll have to walk the chain more then likely unless your using some sort of masking method,as far as punching a thru hole in there(again im assuming your wire frame is there and correct) you wanna trim your surface to a curve example Modify,Trim,Surface,To curves

then select the surface(s) DONE then select the curve(s) DONE,DO IT,select the part of the surface to keep (in other words anywhere outside your hole you chained)

Thank you dogfartz. I did what you said and what a difference it makes to get info from someone that knows how it works.

Thank you much.

How would you, for example split a 1/2 gallon paper milk carton with a surface created through the middle of it, so that when you transform,transalate the two halves you would be able to see the inside of each when they are placed side by side?

Lets say you have the Z0 in the center of

the carton,Create,Rectangle,Options

check on make surface,then create a 2 point rectangle thru the entire carton (so it runs

thru the center of it)change yer GView to

isometeric,from Main Menu go Modify,Trim,

Surface,To surfaces,select the outside of the

carton as surface 1,Done,select the rectangle

surface you created as surface 2,Done,Do it, select a side surface on the carton with the arrow (slide it above or below the rectangle surface you created)select the outer edge on the square surface that runs thru the carton next,now there split,first thing you wanna do

though is put the surface thru the part then

save the file,cuz once you split it in two you will lose the one half,just split it save

it as a different name then recall the original and split and save the opposite halves again then save that then do a Main Menu,File,Merge and select the first one you

split and saved then translate a half around

to wherever,you could also get into the

trimming surface options but i prefer to do it the way i told you, the options are always a headache for me telling it to keep the surface that you trim so i wouldnt even go that route

[This message has been edited by d0gFartz (edited 10-18-2000).]

When you create a surf with flat boundary, you can pick the outside chain first, then any inside chain and it will create the surface accordingly. You can pick as many inside chains as you want. You can also use create, surf, next menu, primsol to create quick boxes, spheres etc.