Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Solids Question

VBJB

I am new to solids and have a question.

How do the majority handle analyzing and programming toolpaths with solids?

Do you create edge curves on everything and use the wireframe to analyze and program against or are you using the solids to do all interrogating and programming?

My roots are in wireframe, so I always create edge curves to work with solids, but I am wondering if there is a better way.

Let’s say I want to know the radius of a fillet in solids. How can I do this without creating wireframe?

Also when I create toolpaths I always create the paths from wireframe. Do you guys suggest creating toolpaths from solids?

Most of the toolpaths I do are two axis stuff.

Most of the work we do is 2 axis as well and I most often do the same as you are. I create geometry based on the solid and put the toolpaths on it. About the only time I really use the solid itself may be for picking depths or when I have to go 3-axis. As for checking radii or other parts of the solid, as CadCam said, Analyze dynamic, and Analyze distance are two of my best friends.

Rick

I'm sorry I made it sound like it could recognize individual features, not what I meant, it can recognize and updated model file as compared to the one currently in the file.

It should have been Change Recognition not feature recognition, my bad

I see. I actually found the Change Recognition usless for the last couple of months until I read a thread about using it to change multiple toolpaths at once. We just did a family of parts and used the Change Recognition to prog each. It saved a boat load of time, so I like it now. I look forward to seeing the improvements too.