Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Surface Gouging

Zero

I've got a part toolpathed in mastercam. There is a series of toolpaths from a rough pocket with a 1/4" ball to a surface finish contour and shallow with an 1/8" ball and then a surface leftover with a 1/16" ball to get what the 1/8" couldn't in some detailed areas. Everything goes fine up until the leftover. The leftover keeps gouging the surfaces. In fact, any program I write with the 1/16" ball gouges the part. If you verify the toolpaths in mastercam, it looks fine. I do parts like this all the time and have never had this happen(that I can remember). I've looked at everything I can think of and can see no reason why this is happening confused.gif . The only thing left that I can think of is that something is happening in the posted program. I've heard on this forum that there is a c-hook to reverse the posted program back to an nci file. I've posted my program on the forum under unspecified uploads folder called GOUGING.m. Could somebody please reverse post this program for me so I can Verify the actual Posted program in mastercam? Thanks in advance smile.gif

You want the part file? If so I probably shouldn't post on the ftp for all to see as it is a prototype design. I have posted the GOUGING.m file (surafce finish leftover toolpath) that I used to cut the part. Can you reverse post the .m file and put it on the ftp?

I have since reinstalled mastercam this morning and have cut the part correctly (finally). I'm just wondering why it verified correctly and machined incorrectly.

[ 03-14-2002, 12:00 PM: Message edited by: Zero ]

Thanks Jay I'll go get that file now and tell you how it verified smile.gifcool.gif .

I reinastalled mastercam, reconverted the original .igs file of the part and generated a new leftover program with the 1/16" ball. Since the first three toolpaths ran correctly the first time I did not have to regenerate those.

A few thoughts on gouging.

Ive had similar problems with surfaces being gouged, and they as often as not boil down to a 'corrupted' surface.

I say corrupted, as this is the best way I can describe it, often a surface looks (visually) OK, but in fact is not (probably a math error).

The solution is to always check the toolpaths against what you would expect, if something is out of the ordinary then it MAY be a corruption error, and the best thing to do is to remove the adjacent surface and sebuild it using the wireframe geometry that formed the surfacs edges (if possible), then regen and if the toolpath is now 'correct' then the problem was a corrupt surface, if not then it probably isnt...

That's what it seems like bryan. The weird thing was that it was only gouging with the 1/16". And it wasn't just gouging in certain areas, it was gouging any surface that it machined, like it was trying to cut it with a smaller ball mill. The file must have been corrupted at some point or other in the process of x-forming and toolpathing. I probably didn't have to go so far as reinstalling mastercam and could've tried reconverting the original .igs file and starting fresh but I really don't have the time for alot of trial and error lately. So better safe than sorry right?

Thanks again for reverse posting the file for me Jay smile.gif