Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Designed a new cutting tool - questions

Bob W.

In reading an earlier post regarding helical milling it reminded me that some time ago I designed a cutting tool for just such a purpose. It has sat idle because its nature is very specific and I don't know if there is already a solution or even a demand for such a tool.

I'm not sure how many people are aware of this, but using a 4th axis it is impossible to cut a TRUE helical surface with a rotating cylindrical cutting tool. If you rotate the part and feed in the X direction while making a cut the results will be close, but not a true helical surface/ groove. I guess in short, you can't use a fourth axis to machine accurate load bearing helical cams, threads, etc... without some surface machining.

Using a rotating cutting tool to cut threads will always be a compromise unless the tool is designed specifically for the pitch and diameter of the thread. Threads cut on a lathe with a single point tool, with a tap, or with a die will produce the most accurate threads from a surface contact perspective.

Rather than go on and on about this I'll go ahead and illustrate the reason. The angle of a helical surface changes as the diameter of the cylinder changes. Imagine a 1/2" diameter threaded rod with 8tpi. The thread's angle would be pretty steep. Now picture a 10" diameter threaded rod. The threads would be nearly horizontal. The surface's angle increases as you get closer to the root and a cylindrical cutting tool can't compensate for that. Only a specifically contoured tool can. Is there a need for something like this?

Sorry for the long post. This has been sitting on the shelf for a few years now :-)

Bob