Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Multiple users...

Nametaken

Well, I have tried to setup shortcuts for each programmer in order to save each one's toolbar preferences the way each one likes it, but I ran into a snag.

I have created a custom .config and .mtb file for each person, and have verified that the shortcut is calling up the .config file. The .config file has also been edited successfully to call up the proper .mtb file.

The problem is that something is still using the original mcamx.config file, as evidenced by changing icon size in settings-configuration using the mcamx.config to "large icon" and seeing the result translated to all other profiles.

If the user.config file is deleted, then upon opening settings-configuration I get a "user.config file is missing" error, so I know it is loading the correct config file.

Anyone know why some settings are still being taken from the mcamx.config file????? banghead.gif

Note the large icons, and the absence of check in large icon box. (User is fred in this example)If the box is checked large and I hit "apply" then unchecked and "applied" the icons will return to small size. When Mastercam is restarted with this profile, the icons will be large again.

66w8f0l.jpg

Hope someone can help, Thanks!

[ 05-09-2007, 12:14 AM: Message edited by: Nametaken ]

Hmm,

I've ran into little problems like this with Mastercam since I started using it (V6.0.3). File paths that seem to revert back to the default for no reason in some cases. I've got some suggestions that have worked in the past for me for similar file path issues in Windows®.

1. You can edit each .config file in the Mastercam text editor. Open the editor, browse to your config folder and open each file. You can then verify which switches are set. Try this first before the next two.

2. When you Configure each seperate file through the Mastercam interface, Make your edits, Save the config file and exit the config dialog box. Then save a copy of an MCX file (I usually just draw a random line and save it as *programmer's_name*.MCX in the config folder. I don't know that this is really necessary, but I like forcing Mastercam to write it's file to the hard drive and not store it in Memory. I've found this can clear up some weird things that tend to happen.

3. If you can, keep which ever production version you decide to use installed in C:mcamx

This will really help when file paths go haywire. You can do side-by-side installs, but it doesn't really work if you have multiple users sharing a computer and each has a seperate config file. Do not let Mastercam install itself in C:Mcamx2 if at all possible.

Most users don't encounter these kinds of file path issues if they are the only one programming on their computer.

JM2¢

Thank you for the reply!

I have already tried to set the option manually in the config file for large icons to "n", but have the same result. It seems to load some settings from the .config file and some from the mcamx.config file. If mcamx.config is deleted, and I load from another .config file, mcamx.config is rebuilt automatically.

And I agree, I have also found that saving a .MCX can sometimes force Mastercam to remember certain settings, but again, it didn't work in this case.

My Mastercam installation is currently D:mcamX2 but I would really like to avoid a re-install (seems like we re-install once a month, and it always causes some sort of an issue!)

Thanks anyway though!

(I envy your 20.1" monitors!)

I had to set up Mastercam for myself and another person on the same computer as well. Besides seperate config files, mtb files, and kbd files, I also created seperate defaults, operations, gmd, control, mmd, and lmd files. This allowed me to link unique operations to each user through their own machine and control definitions. All control defs point to the same posts.

Until I saw your post, I knew of no problem with the setup I had. Each user seemed completely isolated from the other. Niether of us use large icons so it never showed up. I wonder if that check mark is changing a registry value for the icons. When I make the changes and save my config, mine is the only config that the date changes on. However, when logged in as the other user with their config, the icons are still large. Odd.

Sorry I can't help you with your situation. I know firsthand how tough Mastercam is to setup for 2 people sharing a computer with seperate profiles.

Many files point to other files that point to other files, ect...

Good luck with your setup.

Rick cheers.gif