Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Santa Fe

What will be a regular rate to charge for tooling (think about endmills, inserts, drills and taps, etc). Is it a percentage of the final product or a prorated amount equally spreded.

Also, when quoting, is it the same procedure for small runs than it is for large production runs?

Is there any literature for quoting jobs effectibly and accurate?

confused.gif

thanks,

I don't know about the literature. I quote from experience and if something looks strange I'll whip something up in MCAM quick to get an idea of time.

Tooling, If i have to purchase or have made special tooling the entire cost of that gets figured in to the quote. If it is stuff we have, that is generally covered by your "shop" rate.

yes JP, that's how I've been doing things but I thought I was missing something like adding 3% to labor cost for commonly used tools.

Now, talking about stock, when quoting a complicated part do any of you guys charge twice the price of the stock preventing that any thing may happen to the part resulting on a scrap part. If so at what level of material price is applicable to start charging twice for stock???

I have never seen a situation where you figure in 2 times the stock.

If I figure in bar stock and the job will take more than 50% of the bar, I figure the cost of the entire bar. If I an ordering pcs I generally figure and allowance depending on qty.

If it is a 10 pc run, I'll order 11 pcs, if it is a difficult job I would likely order 2 or 3 extras. If it is a 100 pc job I might order an extra 5 pcs.

If it is expensive stock I will order the minimum amount I can get by with but never twice. If you think your rejection rate might be that high, I would figure that right into the part quote itself but you are not likely to win many jobs quoting at twice the stock cost.

May be I didn't explain my self correctly usually our orders are about 10 pcs and most times I order 1 to 2 extra pcs and we have very good results.

My real question is, if customer wants only one part and the part is fairly complex and large; would you charge twice for the stock preventing for a f-up (if it ever happens) or would you take the risk and quote only one piece of stock?

We may move on that direction in the future and I'd like to know what other people do or think about.

Now days even greyboard is expensive for proving programs.

If the customer was supplying stock which sometimes happens with those kind of jobs, you have to bid higher, just in case.

But if it is a tricky 1 off, yeah, I'd plan on 2, I've done 3 on some really tricky stuff.

never needed them but was ready just in case

Too much of the extra, extra, extra, parts and material can make people more careless...I am not saying it is always a bad thing or maybe it is...I worked at one shop where you were allowed very little extra anything and it got me thinking as I use to always do the extra 10 percent thing.

here we make costly materials like titanium and exotics s.steel

most time the material can cost over 10000$ each so we can't buy a spare part

when the pice is very complex we make a test run in cheaper material with approximatly same hardness

for the rest is quite like John said

i noticed early in the string that a few of you, jparis and dragracer, mentioned using mastercam to get an estimate on run time for a part. i am a new user to mastercam but was told by the seller that he didn't know of a way to find a virtual run time. did i misinterpret what you guys were saying?

thanks

k

NO you did not but again experience comes into play.

You can get a "general" idea of the cycle time and then using your experience come pretty close to figuring what button to button would be depending on the holding approach that you are going to employ.

interesting john. thanks.

by using experience and the 'general idea' comment together are you saying you are making an educated guess based simply on the way the tool path appears in conjunction with part size?

i've just converted from an old version of surfcam which did have a fairly accurate run time estimator. while i do like mastercam's interface better, i am greatly surprised that i haven't found a feature that even guesses at run time.

thanks again

k

Sure it does, back plot the tool path and click the double down arrows in the top left corner of the

backplot box, it will give you an estimated run time.

Is that what you are looking for?