Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

ATP?

TWK

I just finished an hour long session on google and Mastercam's web site looking for info on ATP. There's not much. Aside from a number of write ups, (possibly by salesmen) there's no real information that I can find. Ok, so its automatic toolpathing...... what does that mean? Is there a tutorial? How does it work? layers/levels? Colors? or........ Has anyone used this? Do you still use it? Or do you know where to get some info on it?

Unfortunally I don't have time at work to just install it and play with it till I figure it out, so, basically, is it worth it?

PS: I import geometry from autocad, nest them, then cut them on a flat table CNC. Cabinet stuff, ya know.......

PPS: Sorry if this sounds straggled, but I don't do well on forums.......

Thanks in advance to any and all who respond. smile.gif

TWK,

The ATP module is designed SPECIFICALLY for cabinet makers. The geometry that defines the shapes you are cutting (periphery, dados, pockets, drilling holes, whatever) is broken up onto different levels and colors. There is a "process table" that you define that tells the ATP module what level/color a certain feature is. Then Mastercam nests and cuts these panels. I think it might even be able to nest both sides. Contact your reseller for more info. If you want some examples, contact [email protected]. Mick is a great guy and is the one most responsible for developing the ATP module. I've seen it run and it is incredibly impressive for automating the work that cabinet makers do. It takes some setup work in the beginning, but it then becomes so easy to feed the ATP module some DXF files and spit out NC code. Its kind of scary in a way as to how well it really works.

HTH,

Wow, thanks so very much. That is exactly the type of information I was looking for. (I think you turned me on with that write up....., um, sorry if thats too much for this forum) Dam, too much work. That sounds exactly like what I've thought was missing from Mastercam. I often feel secluded in my little router world, good to see there's some more people out there who aren't mill-heads, no offense guys.

Thanks

Tyler Kilback

PS: That reply just gave me a ten hour day tomorrow. smile.gif

Actually the origin of the APT language "Automatically Programmed Tools" was developed in Cambridge Mass "MIT" in February 1959.

A very funny quote that I point out is from the Air Force.

"The Air Force announced today that it has a machine that can receive instructions in English, figure out how to make whatever is wanted, and teach other machines how to make it."

"An Air Force general said it will enable the United States to build a war machine that nobody would want to tackle"

Today it made an ashtray.....