Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Sweep and mitre corners

machtek

Solid guru's, I need on a continuing basis to sweep a chain into a solid that follows a path that has a 90deg turn or more.

Question is: can this be done and how. I would like it to mitre each corner so I don't have to create individual solids then cut the ends at 45deg and then join them.

TIA

Dennis

have your shape you want at both ends and extrude them thru one another to create your corner...then draw a line were you want the miter to be... that is going to be your trim plane. In version 9 its

SOLIDS-NEXT MENU-TRIM then pick the solid...then your going to trim it to PLANE... and when you choose plane it gives you the option to use LINE..pick the line you want for the miter...and it will trim your solid to that line.

hth, cheers.gif

Dennis,

When modeling, mind you I work parametrically in Solidworks, I was taught to start with your basic shape and always add your fillets and chamfers to your model as separate features as they are then easier to control and update as the design changes. So my suggestion would be to NOT add all of that into your initial extrude/sweep.

Thanks Kannon and John.

In solidworks I also do the same, start with a square or rectangle and make the changes out of the initial sketch. I havn't done the same in mastercam and maybe I should, just seems like it will be a little more complicated than that. Unfortunately the shape I am working with (the across) is a spline and would be impossible to do that with.

I had tried to do as Kannon suggested and got stuck on choosing the plane to trim it to. I will have to take another swing at that.

Thanks for the help

Dennis

Kannon, I love the kid with the cobb, simple pleasures huh? I asume that's your pistol (mini kannon)

Ok I got the trim function to work. I was getting confused, after you choose the line to mitre them at it then prompts you for a plane and it didn't make sense. I just green arrowed past it and it worked.

Thanks for the help, I still have a hard time accepting that a supposed "inferior" cam package (Artcam) can do this and mastercam can't. I can just open up Artcam and create the solids the fast way then export them. This will still beat the time it takes to "make" mastercam do what is needed.