Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Tool change M code

CADin & CAMin

I could use a little help with generating a code in a post processor. The toolchange on the Thermwood I am programing for uses an "M" code to change tools tool 1 is "M101" tool to is "M102" an so on. Can anyone give me an idea how to format the "M" code to include the tool number in the last 1 or two digits?

confused.gif

Thanks for your response.

These macros are only valid for 6 tools located in a tool holder. 101,102,103,104,105,106. The machine is a Thermwood which is really a router. We want to test the capability of the machine for some product lines which are simple and will not need many tools.

It would be best to have a test, if tool is specified with a number higher than 6, then a pause command would be inserted.

C'mon Roger, you are the one that taught me how to alter the tool change output. Ohlig- your post is in good hands with Roger, and he is right. Your dealer will probably call Roger on any major post changes anyway. biggrin.gif

[ 04-29-2002, 06:08 PM: Message edited by: JAMMAN ]

We bought our system from Cad-Cam Consultants in Huntington Beach, CA. The HASP # is 80251.

The reason I am playing with the post-processors is that the area I work on is not our conventional machining. I am involved with product lines that need to get toolpaths in minutes and onto the machines with a minumum of effort. The people running these programs are also not machinists.

My last project was to cut glass on some old homemade machines with 20 year old Anorad controllers. There I was able to make the codes run on two incompatible machines and have function keys to set the front to back offset. I also include a routine to touch the tool off of a dial indicator and set the Z offset. Two axis are reversed.

Our dealer is helpful, and we have paid for traing and support but I don't want to put too much burden on them with the unusual requests.

Ohlig, I bugged Roger for 3 years after we bought one seat of V7, Where I previously worked.

We were working with Intermac Masterstone machines cutting granite. I'm sure your dealer will help you out and please try first.

Being a shareholder and manager at the last place-I wish you good luck with your concept-

quote:

need to get toolpaths in minutes and onto the machines with a minumum of effort. The people running these programs are also not machinists.

because I have not had any luck at all this way.

I know it sounds idealistic but we are doing it already with some products. All of the products we are producing this way are simular to each other. I have a library of tested operations that are called out in the drawings approved by the customer. Then we import the operations and asign them to the features.

We have very skilled people programing and running our conventional machines producing conventional parts.

Guest CNC Apps Guy 1

Ohlig,

You are in good hands with CAD/CAM Consulting. The post guy there is one of the best in the world, in fact other dealers call him with post problems occasionally. The mods you are requesting are fairly straightforward. Call them up. BTW I used to work there and they are a great bunch. One of their guys occasionally posts in here but I'm not going to "out" him. He prefers his anonymity(sp?). So give them a call.

Quicky response from the top of my head ...

Heve you tries going into the psof, ptlchg sections and doing the following calculation:

t = t+100

n, *t, "M06", e

this would add 100 to the tool number so if the tool number is 6, the outputted number would then be 106.

Just a thought!

Luc