Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

What are operators allowed to do while machine is running

ScottyB

Guest CNC Apps Guy 1

quote:

...This might be surprising but machinists are temperamental and very arrogant (myself included) when it comes to our work. Some of these things cannot be rushed and added stress only slows production and does not increase it.

AMEN!!!

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

quote:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

...This might be surprising but machinists are temperamental and very arrogant (myself included) when it comes to our work. Some of these things cannot be rushed and added stress only slows production and does not increase it.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Who James, you? Tempermental AND Arrogant?

It really depends on the culture of the shop. Management/babysitters at a high work level/low effeciency shop that doesn't have the right/archaic/thats the way we always done it, mentality, equipment or software, is high stress and likes to have the machinists running around doing multiple things (can you say busy work) because they are not being run effeciently in the first place and are typically behind (i.e.; my mistakes/lack of management skills, becomes your problem), but a well organized and managed shop understands that a machinist needs the exposure to new processes and equipment in order to survive tomorrow and allows them to read trades, internet, etc. as long as the work gets done on schedule, 5S is adhered to and profits stay within reason.

First question though, are these REAL machinists or are they operators. BIG difference!!

Get your G Codes in order baby!! LOL

McamX2-MR2

Mill Level 3

Lathe Level 1

Solids

Guest CNC Apps Guy 1

quote:

...Who James, you? Tempermental AND Arrogant?

Spoken by someone with the name "MultiAxGod"... That's rich! biggrin.giftongue.gifwink.gif

quote:

...Get your G Codes in order baby...

NOPE! The control doesn't care so neither do I! biggrin.giftongue.gif

I thought that was you Paul. What rock did you crawl out from under? Long time no see. biggrin.gif

I see you've seen the light and embraced the Darkside :cough: Mastercam :cough:

I don't know about embraced, but I put it thru it's paces when I need to. As long as I can keep it from crashing, I'm ok! How bout answering my steadyrest problem in the general forum! LOL

Just contracting again for the last couple of years. I crawled out from under the rock a LLLLOOOONNGGGG time ago but still go back every now and then when I miss it! LOL

Did a bunch of work on Esprit (ugh, it's all I can say) on the new Mori 18 axis Lathes and the LPP'S. Now on some WFL's, Mazaks and Makino's right around the corner from you.

Just a simple man with a simple plan!

McamX2-MR2

Mill Level 3

Lathe Level 1

Solids

Guest CNC Apps Guy 1

quote:

...How bout answering my steadyrest problem in the general forum...

Never dealt with a steady-rest before in Mastercam. Sorry. frown.gif

quote:

...Did a bunch of work on Esprit...

I have it here, but have not been to training yet. Secretly I'm hoping and praying the X3 has the Multi Turret Multi Spindle stuff I need to post and run so that I don't have to mess with it. I've pretty well beat the folks at CNC so badly about it they don't even listen to me anymore. EVEN THOUGH WE"VE BEEN WAITING OVER 10 YEARS!!!!!!!!! biggrin.gif

I decided top give up Contracting. Too many headaches for me. Too many people wanted stuff yesterday but want to pay in 2 months - no thanks. I'm doing as well as I did contracting now though so all is good. biggrin.gif

Guest CNC Apps Guy 1

I'm an AE for a high end machine tool distributor. NOT MASCO, not that there's anything wrong with them and the equipment they rep, I just got a better opportunity elsewhere.

When you go to the Esprit training, you have to forget everything you ever knew about programming because everything is completely @ssbackwards. I have been programming for 26 years now and have never seen such a cumbersome system to run. It is actually based around there old 2-D Math with some very slick pictures!

Just a simple man with a simple plan!

McamX2-MR2

Mill Level 3

Lathe Level 1

Solids