Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

5 axis programing

Tyler S

Hi, I'm new to the forum.

I have the opportunity to work on a Northwood, 5 axis gantry style CNC router that is used for cutting patterns for castings. I started working on Mastercam X2 and things are a little different then MC9 that I used in college.

What my question is, is what types of tool paths would anyone suggest to do finish surface work on cutting patterns? I've got the three axis roughing and finishing down, mainly using rough parallel surface cuts and a finish scallop cut. Now with the 5 axis I would like to be able to utilize it and cut with a ball endmill on the radius more than just with the tip. I think it will leave a better surface finish.

With cutting patterns, its all just surface work with a small stepover to reduce the amount of hand sanding. All sides have draft, or tapered walls, on them so once the roughing is complete, I just need a good 5 axis surface toolpath to do the finishing. I have tried a few already but have not had much luck.

Machine: NorthWood Gantry Style CNC 5 axis router

Material: Mahagony and White Pine

Purpose: Metal Casting Patterns

Problem: Looking for good finish tool paths utilizing 5 axis capabilities.

Thanks alot

-Tyler

quote:

Now with the 5 axis I would like to be able to utilize it and cut with a ball endmill on the radius more than just with the tip. I think it will leave a better surface finish.

As a general rule of thumb, this is true since your SFM is actually zero at the tip. You need to control the tilt and angle of your head. Use advanced Multiaxis and take some time to read through the screens. Do some experimenting and watch the verify to see the changes in your control of the parameters.

If you are cutting conves surfaces, you would need less finish work by utilizing flat end mills or bull nose. Cut to the center or close to it, not the front as it has a tendency to scallop in beyond the finish surface.

If concave, bull or ball, but bull might not get down into smaller concave areas.

List your version and features so we know what to suggest to you, i.e.; Multiaxis, solids, etc.

Is your machine from Northwood Designs?

Welcome. cheers.gif

Thanks for the info,

the machine is from http://www.northwoodmachine.com/CNC%20Machinery.htm

the FA series.

The version is MX2 Level 3 Router. I am importing an IGES file into Mastercam from Pro-Engineer and using it as a surface model. I will try to get a screen shot or two of things that I might want to cut so you can shoot some ideas my way. I had tried some advanced multiaxis but haven't had much luck. There are so many options to chose and more complex than MC V9.

Let me know what other information you need.

Thanks