Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Multi-threading

Terence Childs

Guest CNC Apps Guy 1

(Add To FAQ)

No. In order to successfully (in a stable manner consistently) run Mastercam in a multiple CPU environment, you must set the affinity. To do this you first MUST be running Windows NT4.0, Windows 2000 Professional or Windows XP Professional all other Windows OSes do not support multi-threading if you do not meet this criteria you might as well spend a few more bucks and go get Win2k Pro (my personal favorite). Now, launch Mastercam, then minimize it. Launch the Task manager (you may need Power User or Administrator level access to do this so be sure you do), then go to the Processes Page. Right click on Mill9.exe and go to Affinity, and set it to run on CPU1 (or what ever CPU you choose, CPU1 is preferable over CPU0 because CPU0 is handling most of the load). Minimize the Task Manager and Maximize Mastercam and off you go.

Hope that helps.

Ooops, I almost forgot. There are a number of discussions related to this matter. You can do a search and look for "Multi-processor", "Multiple CPU", etc...

[ 05-25-2002, 01:58 AM: Message edited by: James Meyette ]

The advantage of dual processors is the ability to run two instances of Mastercam each having exclusive use of a processor. Each instance of Mastercam is just as fast, and stable as normal.

I run this way every day using dual P4 1.7Ghz w/ Win 2K Pro. Typically I will use one processor for time consuming toolpath calculations while doing design work on the other processor. VERY PRODUCTIVE.

Most of the time it's like having two computers with a seat of Mastercam on each. A dual processor system is much a more cost effective way to achieve this level of productivity. Do the math:

Added cost for dual proc workstation + $1000

Saved cost of a second computer - $4000

Saved cost of a seat of Mastercam -$15000

Total savings -$18,000

Guest CNC Apps Guy 1

Yeah I know, I just figured from the tone of his message that he was interested in Mutiple CPUs.

BTW, please explain in laymans terms the difference between the two.

Thanks,

Why certainly James. Here goes...

Parallel processing or parallel computing is the term given to the use of more than one processor. This can be within one computer (such as a dual CPU system) or many computers (Ex: Beowulf).

Multithreading is an ability that most modern OSs (Windows, MacOS, Linux, Unix, etc.) have. It allows different "parts" of an app, known as threads, to run simultaneously regardless of the number of CPUs available. The app has to have been designed with multithreading capabilities to take advantage of this. An example would be if a program had to carry out three instructions; 2+2, 4*3 and 2^16. A program that doesn't use multithreading would first have to execute 2+2 then 4*3 and then finally 2^16. A program written with multithreading in mind could process 2+2 and 4*3 and 2^16 at relatively the same time.

Hope this helps wink.gif

Guest CNC Apps Guy 1

Ahhhhh, sooooooooo. I see said the blind man to his three deaf children. biggrin.gif That just turned the ligh on for a few things in C++ for me.

Thanks,