Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

machine definition and MCX3 install

rdavidson

Hello everyone,

I have installed MCX3 and have ever since had problems with it and MCX2-MR2-SP1. First, when I opened the first file in mcx3 there was an error message that the file was corrupt and to contact my reseller. Then when I went to MCX2, I got an error message that my machine definition was no valid. I first installed MCX3 without migrating. After I started having trouble with the mill definition, I uninstalled MCX3 and later reinstalled it, choosing to migrate with MCAMX2_MR2 SP1. That hasn’t helped either. I have since tried to redefine the machine definition without any success. I am currently waiting for a response from the seller of the software but until then I was wondering if anyone could explain how to set a new machine definition for a 3 axis vertical mill. Any and all help is appreciated.

Thanks

rog

If I understand right I had a similar problem when installing X3. I had to go in to control Def and redirect folders to the right files. The new install for X3 directed itself to X2 folders so I got similar messages, don't remember exactly what they said, but it took me a couple of hours ( I'm slow at this stuff) to get every thing in it's place.

A couple of the don'ts for upgrading to X3;do not install side by side with X2 (it links some files to your X2 instalation), and when Upgrading to X3 do not use migration. As for creating a new machine definition, I would start off with one of the generic ones supplied with MC and alter it instead of trying to fix a problem one if you can't get it right, you can usually fing one thats pretty close.

It happened to me also. The easiest way to set up a new machine definition is to take an existing one and modify. Grab one of the generic 3 axis VMC Machine definitions and tweak it to match your machine. The most important thing is to change the control definition and post processor to the ones from your old definition.

I backed up the whole X2 folder before doing anything. The following info is from my reseller.

You can migrate your settings but do not chose to update your machine definations otherwise all your X2 defination files will be overwritten. After installing X3 go to machine definition menu management and remove all the machine def from the right side list "clearly shows incorrect data path back to X2"

Then select the machine def you want to add from left side list, you will promted to update and the correct data path to X3 will show.

I had this same problem. Before I knew better

I used migration when installing X3 and just like

you guys the results were not good. Even after uninstalling X3 and replacing all my files with back up ones I could not get MX2 to work correctly.

I eventually had to totally uninstall mastercam

from my computer and installed X3 fresh and everything worked fine after that.

My 2 co-workers who did not use migration

did not have a problem upgrading (side by side).