Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Migrating/Importing tools and ops from X2 to X3

CRDM

Hi.

We have a preset tool library and operations library with all feeds and speeds etc already programmed that we use in X2.

I have made a virgin installation of X3 on my seat of MasterCAM with no migration as suggested by our supplier.

Has anyone successfully converted their tool library or ops library from X2 and X3 because im having all sorts of problems with corrupt files etc when I try to import them into X3.

Many thanks

Welcome to the Forum

cheers.gif

At "this" point in time, it is changing for future releases, you should be able to copy your X2 files into your X3 directories and the system "should" update them as you go to use them.

If you loaded in your X2 config file, you might well go into setting >> configuration and make sure all of the paths in there is pointing to the correct X3 directories and no longer searching for X2 folders that no longer exists.

hth

I just installed X3 yesterday. I did a side by side instalation and it crashed twice yesterday and three times already this morning. One time was when I was gettting a tool from a library and the other two were when I was trasforming/rotating a tool path. Is there maybe something else I need to do to stableize X3? headscratch.gif

Paul,

Updating on the fly, can and does cause some crashing.

It is the reason that moving forward updating on the fly has been removed and you'll have to use the Import Directory function.

Your file should update properly, you'll just have to restart MCAM if it did crash on you.

You could of course use the Import option now and stop updating on the fly, that should stabilize your system.

We have multiple seats of MC here. I installed X3 on my pc. We also have shared resources on the network so that we are all pointing to the same tool library, material, etc.... The first thing I encountered with X3 is that it wants to "convert" the tool library, post, etc... for the time being I declined to do that in order to retain conmpatibility for the other users. The next thing I discovered is that the file format in X3 is NOT compatible with any previous versions, and if you save as version X it is still not compatible. You have to save it all the way back to version 9 to be able to open in anything prior to X3.

We have already made a decision to simply jump into X3 after saving a good copy of all the common resource files that we share over the network. That way we will still be able to go back to X2 if we have a need for that at some point. We will be making the transition in the next few weeks.

quote:

The next thing I discovered is that the file format in X3 is NOT compatible with any previous versions, and if you save as version X it is still not compatible. You have to save it all the way back to version 9 to be able to open in anything prior to X3.

Not "quite" accurate.

On the Save As dialog, there is an "Options" button, click on it and you can choose which version of MCAX you would like to save it to.

However ONLY geometry can go backwrds, tool paths can not

hth