Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

solid state hard drive

Steve Hattori

A couple people here have expressed interest in SSD's and how they may affect performance in Mcam, so I will relate my experience. I just got a laptop with Intel's X25M 80gig solid state drive, a Xeon 3370 3.0ghz quad cpu, 4g Hyper-X ram, Vista64. It runs the benchmark in X3mu1 in 3m49s..

For comparison, my desktop is an E6600 oc'd to 3.2ghz, 10k w/d raptor drives in raid 0, 4g Hyper-x ram, XP64. Benchmark is 4m40s...

Since X3 still only uses ONE core (#@!$$$!!), the 6600 at 3.2ghz I think should be about as fast as the quad cpu with no overclock.

Seems like it makes a notable difference- I noticed a bigger difference on 5axis processes- I just had one take 9m56s on the desktop, same one ran in 6m23s on the laptop! Also, everythhing starts and runs quicker on this drive- X3 starts in about 2 seconds! It boots into Vista in 9 sec..

I did some research before getting the Intel drive because it is more expensive than a Samsung-based ssd. Anandtech did really good test with these drives, showing that Intel's first shot at ssd technology blows away the competition. Do a search on the X25m on anadtech's site if you are interested.

All in all, if you are doing a lot of toolpaths that take forever to calculate, it may be worthwhile to look into it, it really does make difference, and if your time is worth money, you will see payback pretty quickly.