Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Mori Seiki ZL-3b question

Forced_Firebird

We have a Mori dual turret lathe with Fanuc System 11tt, and are tired of switching from head1 and head2 to complete a part that needs to use both turrets. Right now we run 1/2 the part, go to program 2 to finish, then go back to program 1 again to start the next part.

I've been through the programing manual with a fine tooth comb and can't figure out how to use both in the same program.(manuals may be incoplete since it was bought used)

Any suggestions?

I had mori zl150s with fanuc 18 so this may be a little different but:

When you are in the memory mode (or was it called auto, I don't remember), press the head 1 and head 2 button simultaneously. This should cause both the head 1 and head 2 led to light up. Now when you hit cycle start it will run both spindles and both turrets at the same time. You can use timing codes M100 to M199 to cause one turret to wait for the other turret in case of interference points.

Thanks!!!

That was fast, you guys are awesome. We have been able to get both turrets to move simultaniously by lighting both lights, and the manual only shows M codes up to 99.

We are making the prototypes at the moment for this job, but that will be a life saver when we are doing the long runs.

I will post up if we can't get it from there.

Thanks again,

-john

Since you haven't done much simultaneous turning I should warn you to be extra careful. Check in your Fanuc Programming manual. There should be a section on Timing Codes or maybe they call it wait codes. Sometimes you will need to delay movement on one turret until the other turret gets out of the way to avoid a collision between the two tool holders. This would be especially true if both turrets had long boring bars trying to bore the main spindle part and sub spindle part at the same time. Aligning these machine after a crash is double your pleasure. wink.gif

Yes, I know about aligning them unfortunately frown.gif We had to put new pins in it when we got it, and I was the one lifting the head back on the machine.

We will run practice programs first of course tongue.gif

We've got the dwell mastered, we use it for bar feeding all the time, so I hope this will be the same process.

My biz partner is the lathe guy, I work on the mill. We were going to call Fanuc, but the calls end up often being longer than the time it takes me to get a reply here biggrin.gif

We have the turrets set up for one to do the boring, the other to do the facing/turning. I'm sure tool indexing could get ugly banghead.gif

Here is some sample G-code for the timing. It is not done by G04 dwell time. It is done with M-codes:

FanucTimingCodes.png

Line numbers N3 position each turret to a location. Naturally one will get into position before the other.

Line numbers N4 and N5 (M101 & M102) ensure that both programs start executing line numbers N6 at the same time.

But programs will continue to run but head 2 will pause and wait on line number N8 (M103) while Head 1 continues to run.

Head 2 will not start executing again until it sees the matching M-code (M103 in this case) from the Head 1 program.

So you can see its not a matter of determining how much time (G04 dwell seconds)to wait.

• 2 weeks later...