Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Rotary output tolerance for axis substitution?

Chipmakr

I have to cut a groove that acts as a cam feature in the OD of a part . I am going to cut this on our VF3 using the rotary axis. I have drawn the flat geometry as lines extending in the Y+ direction. I have used a simple two axis contour with axis substitution to generate the toolpath.

Now my question is how do I get a finer step resolution when the A axis moves are substituted?The transition moves in my groove when A movement is substituted for X movement is faceted. I have tryed it as splines so that I could use the linearization tolerance, I have tried rolling it and using the unroll tolerance, I have have gone into the machine def and checked the break rotary motion and use chordal diviation boxes. Nothing seems to get the resolution where it looks smooth.

What can break these motions down into finer moves?

I tried the filter setting with no luck. This shows up in verify looking faceted. I changed the setting in the machine def so the rotary moves are not broken up and I believe with this clean posted code the facets will not be there when I run the part at the machine. Is there a way to make verify represent this change?

If nothing else works, and you really have to force it, you can define your cam curve as a spline, then break into many pieces. In the straight sections, that will be an overkill maybe, but you can eliminate the facets.

If your groove is a cam, the best fit for the follower will be by using the groove CENTERLINE as the drive contour, and use the ROLLDIE c-hook and use the slot option. This is the best way to get the opposite sides of the groove parallel.