Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

new graphics card problems

Bill Cronkhite

quote:

so I can pass them on to the IT people

Tell them you need something better, period.

While some people running Vista are seeing quite good graphics on HIGH end GeForce cards, that card was probably purchased out of teh $29.99 bargian bin.

IMO, it will never work well for you

The Gforce cards are designed for gaming, but for Mastercam v9 and earlier (and possibly also for version X), high end Geforce cards were a more economic choice for Mastercam than Quadro cards if the user wanted a cheap card. Past that time, Quadro cards are a better choice, and generally cheaper for equivalent power for CAD/CAM.

The current Quadro FX570 is a cheaper card than the GeForce 6200 you mention, but is a more powerful card.

Thank you to everyone. He put teh old card back in yesterday, and everything is working again. The old card is a GE Force2 MX200. They are supposed to be ordering a new card, and I will pass along teh recomendations. I guess I've been depending on IT for too long, and am behind on teh technology. My systems at home are somewhat dated except for the new sony vaio.

Thanks again!

Bill

quote:

Past that time,

Sorry I disagree here, I run 2 GeForce 8800's in SLI mode. X3 MU1 in Vista runs without any of the older issues from GeForce cards.

BUT, from everything I have seen it MUST be a better card, the entry level GEForce cards will not serve anyone using it for CAD well.

I run X3, SW2009, the ONLY thin I give up is Real Graphics in SW2009

Past, not by a long shot.

quote:

Past that time, Quadro cards are a better choice, and generally cheaper for equivalent power for CAD/CAM.

I have to disagree as well. I got a 9800GT for $130 and it will easily digest anything I can throw at it and ask for more. That's on two panels at max resolution (combined 3200 x 1200) with Vista 64. IMHO gaming is far more demanding that CAD nowadays. How much will you pay for an equivalent Quadro card, and what does it get you that the gaming card won't?

quote:

IMHO gaming is far more demanding that CAD nowadays. How much will you pay for an equivalent Quadro card, and what does it get you that the gaming card won't?

What is DOES get you IF you require it. IS a set of hardware and a tuned driver to take advantage of the OpenGL programming. The hardware that driver the GeForce cards since the 6 series til now still is the EXACT same hardware on the Nvidia cards. The Nvidia cards have added chip set and the tuned drivers.

The stuff MCAM does is nothing like the animation and stuff that goes on in a program like Maya.

Toss a GeForce card at that proggy and you'll IMMEDIATELY understand why you want the GeForce card.

I'm no "coder" but I don't "think" MCAM is really tuned to use the OpenGL source at a "high" level at any rate but that is ONLY my opinion.