Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

X2 lathe-Simple? question

TrevorH

Before I start, I wold like to say that I did spend a couple hours with the search function and although I did learn some neat tricks I couldn't find a solution to my problem, so here goes-

Since completing the Streaming Teacher mill certification courseware- (very usefull). I have decided to try to teach myself how to create some simple lathe code. I am having a heck of a time trying to figure out how to draw a profile and have it be usefull for toolpath creation for a lathe with a FRONT toolpost.

Here is what I am trying to do. Draw half of a part and create toolpaths for a simple 2 axis lathe with the spindle on the left and the tool in the front. I would like z-0 at the right face furthest from the chuck, and x-0 at the center line of the chuck/part. I have tried to draw the profile in both the upper left(x+,z confused.gif -) and the lower left(x-, z-) quadrants. I have also played with the c-planes alot, and I have changed just about everything that I could think of in the machine definition. No matter what I do when I generate toolpaths the tool approaches from the back of the part, and crashes into the stock. I am also not able to find any tools in any of the tool tables that look like they should be used in a front toolpost. I really hope that what I would like to do is possible, and hopefully I am just missing something very simple. I would appreciate any input that I might have, and I read earlier that "lathe guys" have it all figured out, so I have high hopes. Thanks

Trevor

Guest CNC Apps Guy 1

Would you by chance mean "Lower Turret"?

If so, you'll neeed to open up a machine definition with that capability FIRST. Then in your operation, set the switch on the tool for lower turret, (it't probably under the Axis Settings button) in the operation.

I'm going from memory so you'll have to forgive me if I missed a step.

HTH

Edit the tools "setup" here is where the tools gets its turret position (Upper or Lower), Vertical or Horizontal, and spindle direction.

If your using a lower turret machine you'd want M3 as we have Upper turret machines and use M4

Tip: At this stage there is also a button for "Draw Tool" this will jump into the grapics window and show you your as it sits in the machine.

Has nothing to do with T/C planes just use Top for toolpaths.

Draw geometry in D+Z C plane if you like, then you can draw geom in diameter values off the drawing.

HTH

DavidB, Thanks for the suggestion about how to configure a given tool to work in the lower turret, it worked great. Now when I select draw tool it appears as I wouild like it to. I am still having trouble creating geometry in the lower left quadrant and having positive diameter values. I can change the cplane by selecting the planes button, and get it arranged so that geometry in the lower left quadrant represents values of diameter positive which is what I am shooting for, But I tried to set the machine definition default plane to the same, and no matter which one I select the geometry in the lower quadrant always represents a negative D value.

I can always change this by selecting planes before beginning a new drawing, but it would be nice if it could be set to default to the T/C plane that I want.

Is it common to create geo in the lower left, or should I be doing all of my drafting in the upper left quadrant.

Thanks again for the help, your suggestions so far have allready got me further than hours of trial and error! I should probably order the lathe book from InHouse.

Trevor

Lathe parts are drawn with the system x axis running through the centerline of the part, sounds like you've got that....however you want to put your part profile in the x+ z- quadrant. That would be "upper left". Don't touch anything in the view manager/planes options, other than switching to lathe d+ if you'd like. Lathe d+ is x+. d+ is just handy for drawing because it automatically divides x values by 2.

Streaming teacher also has a lathe module.

hth

Chris,

Thanks for the reply. I will try creating the geometry in the upper left quadrant. I would like to subscribe to the lathe offering at streaming teacher someday. The videos that you and Bob do are great, and the mill certification courseware was very helpfull, and well worth the cost. Thanks for the help.

Trevor,

We have a Milltronics lathe here with EXACTLY the same setup as your talking about. I had to really work to make everything (machine def, control def, tools, post) work. Let me know of any help you need. We draw our geometry in the lower left here. No worries.

Cheers