Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

lathe rough problem

Jmick

I was just using lathe rough and found out that if the stock to leave in X is less then stock to leave in Z I do not get the correct toolpaths.It leaves the majority of the stock unmachined. But if X stock to leave is = to or greater then Z stock to leave it works fine. Anyone else having this prob.?

Heed the warning from Big Chris Yodo1...remember cad/cam programs are literal not intuitive; giving you exactly what you ask for, not necessarily what you want...the stock to leave is being mapped along your entire chained contour, so an arc has both X and Z stock in play...if you're looking to leave material on say the face of a flat flange using the extend/shorten settings in lead in/out might be a better alternative...thoughts Chris?

I end up creating 'actual' roughing or grooving contours in some cases because the software doesn't always have the capability of doing precisely what I want it to do [ I want to leave .005 on this face and .010 on the next one, .010 on this diameter and .020 on that one, etc ]. This is an 'extra' step but Xform-offset contour is pretty quick and can give you exactly what you're looking for without doing a lot of detective work.