Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Partial flow edge error...again

Jim at Gentex

I posted this in the 'weird stuff in X4' thread but I thought a new thread was appropriate. I know this subject has been discussed before, but this is the first time I've seen it in X4.

I opened a .sldprt file in X4 which is set to import it as a solid rather than trimmed surfaces. The solid body imports as it should, and if I analyze the solid, it reports no errors. I assume this means it is a watertight solid and it should be good to go.

I tried writing a 5 axis multisurf program on the solid and keep getting a 'partial flow edge error detected' message. I thought they only applied to surfaces that weren't properly trimmed. How can I have a partial flow edge error on a watertight solid?

headscratch.gif

Thanks, Colin.

Yes, I did try both importing it as surfaces, and creating the surfaces from the solid. Same result.

I'll have to send it in and see what happens.

I do need to check w/ my employer first because of proprietary issues with this particular part. wink.gif

I have seen situations where surfaces adjoining each other will be at 90 degrees to each other, not in plane but in orientation. What I mean is to select one surface, and show the flow lines, then pick the next surface and show the flow lines. They do not flow in the same direction to each other.

Sure you can change one to make it match, but if you select both, when you change the direction they both change and are still opposed to each other.

quote:

but if you select both, when you change the direction they both change and are still opposed to each other.

Understood. biggrin.gif

What I'm asking is how this could happen with a solid?

headscratch.gif

Solids shouldn't have flow edge errors because they don't have adjoining surfaces. This is a native Solid Works file created in Solid Works and imported into Mastercam as a solid. What I don't understand is how a flow edge error can exist on a solid. wink.gif