Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Lights Out Inspection

CNCGUY

Hey peeps,

What do you folks do to inspect parts to ensure that you arent running hundreds of scrap parts on nights and weekends. I realize its not as big a deal for long cycles, but what about short cycle - high volume parts? Is this type of stuff done only with materials that dont where tools very quick (ie. 6061)??????

What about a pallet thats scheduled "after hours". How do you know its gonna be good. Was it proven out at some point?

Just trying to understand more. headscratch.gif

Thanks for the insight!!!!

Guest CNC Apps Guy 1

IMHO, only stable and/or predictable processes are good candidates for lights out operations. Even if you only get 1 cycle of good parts out of 1 tool, with tool life management you add redundant tools and you're good to go. It's best to have Tool Breakage detection. As long as wear is predictable, you can run just abotue any type of material. I have a customer running Inconel 718 unmanned. The right tooling, the right work holding, the right machine, all working together.

I don't know anyone that runs something unmanned that has not been proven out first.

JM2C

Like James said, without tool monitoring/breakage detection, it is a lot harder to do. We use tool monitoring on just about every part we do, even small qty. It is super easy to set up. For high production I would recomend HP coolant. Also, a good chiller is a must to keep the machine cutting consistant. Overall just remember process stability and reliabily is more important than cycle time when running lights out.

Mike