Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Switching posts with the same MD/CD?

All,

I have 2 different lathe posts I need to use for the same lathe. I thought I could just add this post to the control def post list and then simply switch the post in the local copy of the machine def when needed. Doesn't seem like it works this way. When I switched the post in the MD local copy, it did it but when I posted the file it behaved as if it didn't have the correct CD. I know this because I use a different file extension that the .NC default.

I also tried making a copy of my MD & CD and just change the post. When I edit the copied CD and try changing the post I get this message: "This is a new CD, save after entering your data" and then it reverts to some default control def.

In short,

I just need a way to simply switch between posts with the same MD & CD.

Thanks,

Scott

try going to your machine group in the op manager and select files and machine toolpath copy and replace and then select that machine definition set up with your other post. you may have to create a different md that is exactly the same except with a different post before doing that though

Check up on the MCAMX3_RREFGUIDE.PDF in the documentation folder.

It states that a control file can point to only one post.

My suggestion is create two completely different and separate MD's, CD's, and posts with two explicitly different names. This is what i normally do for similar machines that I need different posts for. It always works.

It's also easier to keep everything straight if you keep the names the same: EXAMPLE -

POST NAME: Haas TL-2

MD NAME: Haas TL-2

CD NAME: Haas TL-2

Hope this is somewhat helpful!

scott, its like i said. first create a md that uses one post and another that is identical,but named something else that uses a diffent post. in the operation manager if you select files in your mchine group,and click on REPLACE, it allows you to change the md for that particular file which will use the post you want.you cannot save it ,but it is a one time thing for that particular file.

I found it on page 775. It explains how to use multiple posts with the same MD. What I missed was that when you add the post to the list, save it then you need to go to any page in the CD and right click -> import -> all pages and select the existing CD to import.

To switch posts on the fly, simply edit the local MD and select the diff. post.

You can absolutely set up your MD to do this.

1. Select Machine Definition Mgr from the Settings menu, to work on the master copy.

2. From the MDM toolbar, select the Control Def icon.

3. Click the "Add post" button and select the post you want to add.

4. Back in Control Def main page, select the new post from the drop list. It should be listed with a + icon next to it, instead of a green check mark.

5. Click the Save button in Control Def Mgr toolbar. The + changes to a green check mark. This tells you that the post is good to go. When you go back to Machine Def Mgr, you will be able to select it.

6. Wait, there's more!! When you added the new post, it used your control def default settings. If you want to use the same CD settings as your other post, right-click on a CD page and Import them (or make changes manually).

7. Same deal with Post text, your new CD has default post text. Go to Post Text page, right-click, and Import.

8. Save the control def again, return to Machine Def Mgr and save that also.

9. In the part files where you want to be able to select the new post, go to Files Tab in Machine Group Properties and Replace the MD with the new copy.

I ended up making a MD/CD & Post for each one. When I switched posts in the local MD, all my ops went dirty. When I simply replace the MD the ops stay clean so that is the way I went. I still learned something though, that right click -> import -> all pages and select the existing CD to import is handy. It helps when making copies of control defs.

Scott