Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

SIMPLE WAY TO CHANGE LATHE SPINDLE DIRECTION W/O CHANGING TOOL SETUP

honeybunches

I am using LH tools in a slant bed lathe. The preset RH tools are the only ones that present correctly relative to my machine. Problem is they generate an M3 spindle and I require M4. I tried to go into tool setup and just change spindle direction but that also flips my tool over and present wrong. Is there a simple solution to this problem? I am confident with hand coding, something will eventual get missed and kill a holder.

Take the time upfront and set your tools up properly. Save them to the the library if you'd like but do it right.

It will save you loads of time of trying to do the "simple" way

quote:

Take the time upfront and set your tools up properly. Save them to the the library if you'd like but do it right.

Great advice! cheers.gif

Lathe tooling set-up can be a pain, especially when you have to do multiple machines with opposite settings.

I always take my time, do it right, and save the tools to machine specific tool libraries.

Saves tons of time down the road!

I will agree! seems you just cannot BS your way through lathe ops. What I did wrong was try to flip a RH tool to work with M4. I grabbed a LH tool and flipped the spindle direction, and that did it.

I would like to ask though, how do you adjust holder dims and set them up? I see where you can select tools and such but if I go to "draw tool" you cannot modify the dims of the holder there. Things like shank size, presentation angle, etc.

Viper, please don't take this wrong, I mean it respectfully but having seen many of your questions it is very apparent you have had no training at all.

Your reseller should be a good resource for you. I would suggest you explore what they offer for Lathe training as it is quite apparent that you could definitely use some.

Again no offense; but what we do all day, everyday is figure things out.

S4A has put a lot into our training program and we continue to do so.

Generally speaking you don't see our guys posting problems here if they've cycled thru the program (AND done copious independent study before and after).

Again no offense - there's lot of self taught guys in here who really know their stuff.

My principle argument for formal training

in any subject is (deep breath)

expedited ignorance eradication

when one starts learning a new subject

one is quite literally in a state of ignorance.

take advantage of those who've come before

and laid groundwork for you to build on.

then go forward and innovate - you can come back

and teach us all something

• 14 years later...
On 8/27/2009 at 8:49 AM, Randy Morton @ Clem Industrial said:

If you are that confident in your tooling and this is a 'forever' thing, then you may consider going into your post and changing the M03 and M04 around. Then instead of it posting M03 it will give you M04.

Just be very careful that this is what you need for all toolds and want to have happen...

The tools are correct for turning on the backside of the workpiece. MC looks at the chuck from the tail stock end of the turning center, which would make the chuck direction clockwise, or M03.  Instead of looking at the chuck from what machine manufacturer call the front of the machine, which would make it counterclockwise. Which is the correct way. 

On 12/5/2023 at 5:37 PM, sargento1957 said:

The tools are correct for turning on the backside of the workpiece. MC looks at the chuck from the tail stock end of the turning center, which would make the chuck direction clockwise, or M03.  Instead of looking at the chuck from what machine manufacturer call the front of the machine, which would make it counterclockwise. Which is the correct way. 

That's one way to beat a dead horse, replying to a 14 year old comment hahah

• Like 1
  • Haha 1